The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Does my cars ride height look stock?

Kirk

Ever since i fitted my bilstein's (not toyota ones) i cant tell if the ride height has changed. Now i only measured it once but seeming i cant find the stock ride height spec's i cant tell if its dropped a little or not.

Excuse the winter wheels and the poor pic's :D

http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/2804/img00120201012131244.jpg

http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/7015/img00117201012131244.jpg

http://img571.imageshack.us/img571/1365/img00118201012131244.jpg

Is it for road usage, or just track? They don't have oodles of suspension travel, on stock sort of spring rates dropping more than say 20 mm at the front and 15 or so at the back will have it on the front bump rubbers in tight corners, with resultant chronic understeer. The roll centres go to pot if you lower it too much, as well, and the car can actually try to roll MORE. Depends what you want to do with it, how much you worry about tyre wear if it's used on the road, what tyres you run, blah blah.

Is it for road usage, or just track? They don't have oodles of suspension travel, on stock sort of spring rates dropping more than say 20 mm at the front and 15 or so at the back will have it on the front bump rubbers in tight corners, with resultant chronic understeer. The roll centres go to pot if you lower it too much, as well, and the car can actually try to roll MORE. Depends what you want to do with it, how much you worry about tyre wear if it's used on the road, what tyres you run, blah blah.

Its a bit of both realy. I use it as my daily but in the new year it will see alot more track action aswel.

The springs are bilsteins aswel and alot beefier than stock ones but im unsure of the spring rates although it does handle rather well as it is and doesnt realy roll hugely, i dont know if thats likely to change when i fit my other wheels which are 17"s. Obviously for road use ill be using road tyre's and maybe switch to dunlops for the track.

Looks like 4x4, you going offroading dude:d

:D this is why im asking how much lower can i afford to go without upsetting it! saying that you and your bro got on alright with eibach springs. May look into another set of springs for the new year.

Slam it Martin, who needs handeling

Well.... me :D

Ill see what its like when my other wheels are on it and go from there but i suspect it needs dropping a little bit :)

Edit... Just pulled up dave's gt45 project and i think ive found a stance id be happy with. Question is how low his is though :shrug:

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=123406&d=1290603902

Edited by Kirk (see edit history)

Well your brother did!

Chris there is german made bilstein coilover's on it, that's the point. It just looked a little lower than it used to but my back end sits slightly higher compared to a bone stock car. Its probly the wheels that are the issue.

Stick with the bilstein Martin, the HSD, Tein, KSport I would not rate them

I find if you look at what the top Manufactures use in there OEM setups BMW,Mercedes,Ferrari, Lamborgini, Bugatti, Lexus, Porsche all the top Marques ; you find they use Bilstein on M BMW's, Veyron, KW in World Touring Cars(BMW etc), Bilstein in Porsche GT3 Cup etc and other makes of suspension I am sure

But I never seen HSD,Tein or Ksport; I would base any suspension decision on what these guys use