The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Thoughts on these wheels.....?

dandan

I'm on the lookout for some new wheels to replace the Rota GTRs and I'm taking my time to see what is around.

I have a place local to me that can make billet wheels to almost whatever (relatively flat faced) design I like but I have also been looking at the Image website again and I like a few of their cast split rim designs a lot.

I've narrowed down the Image wheels I like to the following four designs.....what do you think?

I may be removing the skirts and spats off the car shortly so it's not all that easy to picture how they'll look unfortunately but I thought I'd canvass some opinion in the meantime :D I'm aiming for 17x11.5 at the rear with a 315/35 and 18x9.5 upfront with a 265/35 (or possibly an 18x9 with a 255/35). These last two are my favourites - the first one is 13" and the second is 19" so mine will sit somewhere between the chunky 13" and the spindly 19" as far as spoke shape is concerned.

Colourwise, I may go with simple black anodized or powdercoat as I like theblack and gunmetal combo I have at the moment but a little bit of me does that the polished/natural silver colour although that'd be a PITA for cleaning.

111.jpg

222.jpg

333.jpg

444.jpg

Edited by dandan (see edit history)

Cheers guys - feedback appreciated as always :)

I love the look of the Rotas, I've had four sets of wheels on the car and these GTR's IMHO have looked the best of them all. The trouble with them is the rear wheels are not wide enough at 9.5" as I can only get a 275 on there. Also, I really want to try dropping to a 17" rear to get some extra sidewall and maximise the width as much as possible within the stock bodywork. Right now I'm running 285's at the back on WedsSport rear wheels and they offer a little more grip than the 275's so the width does seem to be helping and I know Jamie found masses of grip when he stepped up the rear width past the norm so I'm hopeful :D

I am reasonably keen on the CCW's but I think the sideskirts and spats would definitely have to go to make them look right or else there'd be a big clash of style on the car. The real downside to them though is they won't get anywhere close to clearing my Alcon front brakes so they are out straightaway unless they make me a custom one off set in which case I may as well get them made in the UK. :search:

I've never seen a set of BBS rims on a Supra that I liked but that may just be from a lack of looking. If there's something decent available in these sizes then I'd happily go for it. Josh do you know anyone running BBS rims at 11.5" wide?

Edit: The Billet 95's are very nice too....as are the 102's :) I suppose they are both in the mix as well but they didn't stand out to me any more than the cast ones so I didn't really give them much more thought.

what is the max you can run width wise on the rear with stock arches?, i only have uk 17s and when i go single i just know the 255's are not gunna be holging on for $#@!, 10's?

I'm aiming for 11.5" and that will need the arch rolling. 10.5" should be fine without arch rolling especially if you only stick a 295 on there.

They look nice, I'll see what I can find out in terms of widths and available offsets.

Bottom right photo of the Image rims is the lightest they do (or did last time I got any). The quality is great, but they need watching. Lead time quoted and in actuality can vary wildly, and they need instructions in writing, they cocked up offset on some RX7 rims they did for me and it would have got fraught had I not given them written instruction they signed for. With custom rims you get the EXACT offset you want and a correct counter bore hole size. I had someone's Soarer in here ages ago that had CCD rims on that looked fabulous. They wer heavy though, and even as bespoke rims they needed adaptor rings, that were cleverly designed as part of the centre caps, to fit the hub nose. Two of the caps were machined wrongly... The wheels cost a FORTUNE with import duty and VAT!!! It's a pity Mike Barnby (MB Motorsport Engineering at http://www.mb-racingwheels.com doesn't do magnesium rims in larger sizes, they are ultra light and the very topmost quality. He did a set for my Chevron that were featherweight, round (which is rarer than you might think for some rims) and in perfect factory balance.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the replies guys, sorry for not replying sooner.

None of them scream out 'amazing' to me.

That's the kind of response I was hoping for. I don't want anything that is too "look at me....look at me!" or screams anything at all really - just something that looks smart and functional and looks "nice enough"; it seems that the general consensus is something close to that :)

Like Nic, I prefer the look of the Rota GTRs over the others that you have shortlisted - shame they dont do a size that can take a wider rear wheel.

imi

I love the GTRs too - damn shame they don't do something like a 17x11.5 ET46-50 :(

A pair of Volk TE37 18x10.5 in black on the rear would match the Rota fronts well.

http://www.rayswheels.co.jp/2009/uploads/products/VOLK/VOLK_TE37/gallery_1.jpg

Thanks Nic ;)

They would indeed :) Glad you got your's sold Rob, well done - smashing wheels :thumbs:

Or you can buy a set of these for the rear's, they are called Rota GTR-D, they are available in 18x12

As JP said - way too wide for me on my car.

Bottom right photo of the Image rims is the lightest they do (or did last time I got any). The quality is great, but they need watching. Lead time quoted and in actuality can vary wildly, and they need instructions in writing, they cocked up offset on some RX7 rims they did for me and it would have got fraught had I not given them written instruction they signed for. With custom rims you get the EXACT offset you want and a correct counter bore hole size. I had someone's Soarer in here ages ago that had CCD rims on that looked fabulous. They wer heavy though, and even as bespoke rims they needed adaptor rings, that were cleverly designed as part of the centre caps, to fit the hub nose. Two of the caps were machined wrongly... The wheels cost a FORTUNE with import duty and VAT!!! It's a pity Mike Barnby (MB Motorsport Engineering at http://www.mb-racingwheels.com doesn't do magnesium rims in larger sizes, they are ultra light and the very topmost quality. He did a set for my Chevron that were featherweight, round (which is rarer than you might think for some rims) and in perfect factory balance.

Thanks for the advice Chris - I'll be sure to get everything nailed down in writing before going anywhere and would like to do some mock ups or trial fits first to be 100% happy as the 315 tyre is tight on a stock bodied car with little (if any) margin for error. I had some MB Racing alloys a long time ago on a track mini and they were extremely light and tough...they were 10" diameter though :D

My dad had some Mike Barnby wheels on one of his old Caterham's, they were insanely light, you could quite literally pick up the wheel with your little finger :blink: