The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Blow Off Valves

Geo

As my old BOV is an XS Power one, which is welded onto the pipe coming off the Throttle boy, i want to change it for decent one now.

Now as Lee will be fitting his New FMIC to the car, the new BOV with be located onto this somewhere(dont know where yet though)

I want to try the Turbosmart BOV as i have there waistegate and there products look the Biz. Just want people's opinons on what BOV's they have got and and what would you recommend?

cheers all

The HKS SSQV is the most popular BOV I use to sell, they use a pull type valve are reliable and not prone to leaking, blow off valves that use a push valve can leak under higher boost.

http://www.hksusa.com/products/more.asp?id=3719

Or there's the HKS SSQV Racing designed for higher hp and higher boost applications. I use to use the older model of the HKS Racing BOV on my own car.

http://www.hksusa.com/products/?id=3342

Edited by Nic (see edit history)

The only issue I have with the SSQV is the noise it makes. I used to have one and got fed up with the chirp noise they make. I have a cheapo Bailey one on my current supe which is no where near as good quality, but the noise is much better. It's a nice loud PTOOOOSH noise.

I had a turbosmart valve on my Scooby prior to my current supra, that also made better noise than the SSQV but was not as loud as the bailey.

So the sound it makes is the determining factor? If so what you really need is one of those amplifiers you can tune to make your chosen BOV sound:dontget::giveup:

Nope, not at all. My last supra never had a BOV when I bought it, so I fitted the SSQV. My current supra had the Bailey on it when I got it, it still works fine, so I've no need to change it. I was only letting the OP know what my thoughts were on the SSQV.

Louie, I found this post by the venerable Chris Wilson

I have not run a BOV on any turbo engine of mine for many many years and have never found the turbo either fails, nor wears prematurely as a result. Lag is unchanged, maybe even reduced without a BOV. My opinion is shared by Turbo Dynamics and by Geoff Kershaw who owned Turbo Technics, as well as by Ken Brittain late of Brodie Brittain Racing, who are two of the countries leading experts on turbos. http://www.morego.co.uk/bbr-gti/two_bs.php A "BOV" was simply used to stop turbo noises when suddenly closing the throttle, the noise was thought to be sufficient to annoy or worry early turbo car customers. It wasn't designed to increase turbo life, nor to reduce lag.

Should say it all :)

A big claim by manufacturers, don't think there is actual proof that running no bov will cause any damage or lesser life to a turbo, who knows...

I can understand your arguement if the turbo manufacturuer also makes BOV's butas far as I am aware Garrett don't make BOV's but they list them in the components that should be used along side their turbo's and they say the choice of BOV is critical for Turbo performance and durability. Being as they are one of the largest and most respected manufacturers of turbo's in the world and have quite a bit of experience of turbo use in all applications, I have a hunch they know what they are talking about. I am also sure Toyota did not fit a recirculating BOV just for the hell of it.

A BOV is designed to prevent the compressor going into surge, to prevent massive variations in turbine speed during rapid throttle shut from relatively high boost. Rapid variations in turbine speed can put huge forces on the thrust bearings and lead to premature failure. Other than that the BOV serves no purpose.

As stated time and time again, most manufacturers fitted bov's to reduce noise levels of a stock car, I've also just court wind of chris's post above, I like to think chris knows his stuff, I understand your argument about compressor stall, but the thing is turbo tech advances daily so much, how many people do 10s of thousand of miles without upgrading to something quicker spooling or that produces more power, not that many. I can understand if running with no bov was killing turbos after a few thousand miles, but it just won't happen, and I don't think we will find a definitive answer, just personal preference's what they decide, back by back tests would be good, but I don't think it will ever happen.

Ok, I've got a tad confused about all of this, I'm certainly no expert when it comes to turbos's(I'm good working on V-Tecs though:d), if someone could help clarify it for me that would be great.

I just recently purchased, but not fitted, a HKS SSQV3 BOV as I will be running BPU at 1.2Bar and thought that an upgraded BOV would be a must(I will probably be wrong though), but, firstly, can I just run with the standard BOV? As I'm not really into the loud TSSSHHHH sounds(although external wastegate sound, I do like, they remind me of a fighter jet:d)

Secondly, when you say, 'run without a BOV' are you on about running with the standard recirculating one or complete removal, if you mean complete removal, will that make it silent?(probably a dumb question, but if you don't ask....)