The mkiv Supra Owners Club

need a 12v+ connection when only when engine is running ?

jihwaan

on the powerhouse racing site- they state you can wire these fans to "anything that gets power power when you start your Supra (alternator for example). No thermostat necessary!

"

Now which wire on the alternator has a positive 12v+ feed when the engine is running only?

Can anyone tell me which wire I am looking for before I go probing around with a multimeter and probably burn my arm or something?

Thanks for any help in advance guys...

Edited by jihwaan (see edit history)

possibly yes this is what I will end up doing- but i was hoping there woudl be something in the engine bay I could just tap into- I currently have them running of a thermo switch / sensor but it seems to be playing up so after reading that on the PHR site I thought if I could just wire the +ve from the relays onto something that has power only when engine is running I could ditch the themro switch and itw oulod be fast and simp0le.

Turbo timer, or even the stereo ign +ve

I need the positive feed even when the ignition barrel is physically turned off for when the turbo timer is running- I dont know how yours is wired up but when my car is running off the turbo timer the accessories and everything else is switched off- only the engine is running.

Think Ill just go trolling around with a multimeter until I find what I need..

You could try using the "charge warning light" connection on the alternator. I believe it's pin 1 on the alternator connector, or pin 34 of the orange connector in the passenger footwell [Ref]. The wire will be at 12V whenever the engine is running.

It's not a particularly "strong" signal. If you're lucky you might be able to drive an automotive relay. I'd recommend using a small signal relay in between the warning signal and your circuit. You can probably find something appropriate at Jaycar.

You could try using the "charge warning light" connection on the alternator. I believe it's pin 1 on the alternator connector, or pin 34 of the orange connector in the passenger footwell [Ref]. The wire will be at 12V whenever the engine is running.

It's not a particularly "strong" signal. If you're lucky you might be able to drive an automotive relay. I'd recommend using a small signal relay in between the warning signal and your circuit. You can probably find something appropriate at Jaycar.

You sir are a gentleman and a scholar.

I think I may firdst try using that to feed the relays- I think it should have sufficient signal if wired that close to the source- if not I will get a signal relay.

I dont know why I didn't think of that myself. Thansk again

You sir are a gentleman and a scholar.

I think I may firdst try using that to feed the relays- I think it should have sufficient signal if wired that close to the source- if not I will get a signal relay.

I dont know why I didn't think of that myself. Thansk again

FWIW I found that the signal is enough to pull in a single standard automotive relay, but with the side effect of the charge warning light being very slightly illuminated. Only noticable in the dark.