The mkiv Supra Owners Club

advise please

blitziouz

Hi

Just got back from keighley sports and preformance as i went to have a look at a single turbo supra he claims its a T78 . It looks very nice but it has a few bad points like one alloy is a bit kerbed and there are a few loose plastics one under the steering wheel and the compartments behind the gear stick. anyways i got there and the car had to be jumped also asked if we could be taken out in the car. but he said he couldent get any trade plates. Has anyone used keighley before or recomend them or should i walk away

here is a link to the car

http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/www/cars_popup.jsp?photosOn=1&dealerid=12545&did=12545&pageid=5&modelexact=1&make=TOYOTA&model=SUPRA&min_pr=0&max_pr=&mileage=&agerange=&keywords=&max_records=50&photo=0&dealersearch_full=SEARCH&start=1&distance=0&adcategory=cars&channel=DEALERPAGE&id=201037368258100

Thanks

I know that car, its not a T78, its a GT42 iirc, keighley are a bunch cowboys i hear but that car at that price has to be worth a proper look, dirt cheap, with a bit of luck it might only need a tidy up.

It came into the uk 5 years back via GT-car, my old red one and Jontys black one came in with it, all had very similar number plates, at the time that blue one had the best spec and sold for £24,000.

I know that car, its not a T78, its a GT42 iirc, keighley are a bunch cowboys i hear but that car at that price has to be worth a proper look, dirt cheap, with a bit of luck it might only need a tidy up.

It came into the uk 5 years back via GT-car, my old red one and Jontys black one came in with it, all had very similar number plates, at the time that blue one had the best spec and sold for £24,000.

Thanks mate im realy intrested in it would be used as a daily drive so i hope its mechanically sound . he said he has had it for 4 weeks now

I hear very bad things about keighley, "he said he couldent get any trade plates" kinda suggests to me he didnt want you going out in it for some reason.

It looks a great spec for the price single turbo maual. But theres gotta a reason its that cheap. These guys have been around for a while and know what the cost it should be.

My honest advice is speak to Jurgan at JM Imports after sales is superb. Id imagin keighleys wouldnt be so great with everyones bad tone even the chap i know that owns Scooby Parts was like "not keighley you getting it from is it?" "no" "good then" lol

Wierd the number plate as mine is L946 CTY and this one is L726 CTY

That does seem very cheap! I would walk on the side of caution though as cars are normally cheap for a reason.

The trade plate situation sounds like a very poor excuse to me, sounds like they did not wan't you to drive it.

Also don't quote me on this but I know that some trade insurance policy's allow viewers to drive there cars with out trades as long as they are in the car.

So if this is the case it really isn't any excuse.

I'm with Jamie here, it's worth a punt for someone who has the spare cash to buy it and either do what needs to be done or break it for profit.

It certainly isn't a car to buy and expect to be faultless. If you are looking for a car that doesn't need a couple of K to get it perfect then I would walk away bud. The thing is, you aren't going to get close to that spec for the same budget.

Kaighley are an absolute bunch of cowboys bud. Don't trust anything they say or do. The fact that they wouldn't take the car for a spin says it all really, something is wrong with it. It's a bargain but at the same time it is a risk.

Lot of thinking to do.

As above on the cowboy thing, Ive been there myself to look at cars and the attitudes of the staff alone put me off. Have to ask yourself who did the conversion on the car, was it a proper job,has it been well looked after etc. The biggest thing is the lack of a test drive, alarm bells ringing here anyway.

As above if youve got a few k spare to sort the faults out then go for it, but cheapest isnt best. Look on the forum for a good single car with history of the build etc.

If youre really stuck I can have a look with you, have inspected a couple of Supras for buyers :)

I saw this car up for sale start of this year it used to be black.

I didnt bother test driving it as a quick walk around it put me off. It had been put together badly, and was very tatty inside. Usually was parked at the Shell petrol station in High Wycombe the owner worked there. Has been also up for sale on PH whilst it was Black.

Yes Keighley Trade Centre are a bunch of cowboys and if anyone mentions there name, I would say walk away, fast. However I'm with Jamie on the fact that it could possibly be stripped for parts and make way more than your money back, but I would take someone who knows Supra's VERY well with you to check it out and see if those valuable parts are actually fine and in working order.

Filthy HKS filter, poorly fitted manual boost controller, deformation hooks removed from the rear bonnet area and it just looks badly cared for. All signs of walk away to me, unless you're buying it to break as Jamie suggested.

Wether the previous owner has looked after it or not, it is well known how the cars in that place are treated by the staff. I'm not just talking about parts being robbed from them, but being thrashed from cold and seriously abused. They never seem to have a problem getting trade plates when they're caning the cars around Keighley...

Thanks for all the comments i am very wary but still like the car. I rang the lad today and asked if it was ok for an engineer to take a look and he was ok about it [to my suprise]

so im in the process of getting a quote for this to be carried out

Will keep you informed

Thanks again :)