The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Bringing back the love

nevins

Over the last month I have speaking with the member Damon, who bought a supra and had a few problems with it. Now from speaking to him it was evident that he was getting to the point that he wanted to sell the car and wash his hands of it.

Now as a few members know this is a common thing and we have all gone through it at some point. Also a few members will know that when people are feeling like this, I will gladly do what I can to help out. So I got in contact with the Dr (craig), and we decided that it was time for Damon to come to wales and we would get on the case.

So at 3 o'clock today, I met Damon at the services and led him to Craigs garage. Once there we had a quick look over the car and found the passenger rear wheel had some crazy toe out. Now bare in mind this car has been to several garages for 4wheel alignment and all said that they had done it and charged him!. (cough! Bullshit)

Now the car had a bed clunk on each corner and was handling like crap. In the boot was a fresh set of hsd coil overs. So we got to work, the rears flew on with no hassle. So we tackled the front. What we found once the struts were off was quite strange. The springs were huge. They were at least have the thickness thicker than standard n/a springs :rolleyes:. This was checked against a set we had in the corner of the work shop.

So the coil overs were fitted, and then as we had the car in the air we checked the subframe bolts. They were all loose and tightened up at least 1 and a 1/2 turns. So we set up the ride height and lowered her down. Once we were happy after a few runs and adjusting the ride height. We gave the keys to Damon. After he test drove the car he had a grin on his face and at that moment we knew he was happy and the thoughts of selling her were gone.

All this was done free of charge, for the simple fact we knew how he was feeling and after all he is a club member. Now next week he will be crossing the border once again as we want to check it over again to see that its all settled in and if something needs adjusting it will be done.

Also he will be having his freshly powder coated callipers fitted with fresh seals, new flexis and pads. Also we will be fitting a nice free flowing exhaust system that craig has spare.

So to cap it off, Damon is once again a happy supra owner, with a very nice example of a mkiv. It was a pleasure meeting you mate,and even better knowing that you are now happy after a problematic start to supra ownership. I would also like to give a big thanks to Craig for allowing the use of the workshop and spirted ride in his creation, even if we could not get grip. He has put me in my place when it comes to n/a-T's, its an animal.

Gareth.

i know the feeling of wanting to torch the car all too well so dont mind helping . overall its a nice car , engine and box felt tight a smooth and now the new bits are on and everything is tight enough he can enjoy his car . all it needs now is a propper geo set up to sort that massive camber and toe out on the osr wheel. all in all though a nice unmolested stock example :)

That is fantastic, well done on you both, I hope Damon (sounds like a Welsh name) has brought you both a couple of beers and some choccies for the trouble. Would be quite a price to have all that work done in any half decent garage. Lesson should be learned here, only take your car to people who love Supra's. They have a different kind of love & addiction which makes them see it as more than a job to do. This is the reason why I only let Chris (Supraturbochris) work on my car as I know he takes pride in what he does and doesn't see it as just a job, so again well done to you both for bringing happiness to someone's life. :)

Guest wantthatone

no, not welsh. thinking about becoming welsh lol! i cant thank craig & nevins enough, i cant stop driving it now, it feels such a different car, all new poly bushes, a tightened subframes & HSD coilovers, i must admit, i want craigs car!! it was unbelievable, words can not express the noise alone! blink & you would have missed him, i have told my other half, that we need a single turbo on our car! i will be returning to craigs workshop, for lots of mods me thinks!!!

Glad to see some good club spirit :)

We do the very same up here, club together and help out, myself and marc are relatively good at basic things but get help from mates for the bigger things. We're constantly in the garage cleaning, working on and do-ing up all the cars (plenty videos to go around too :))

Well done

This is the reason why I only let Chris (Supraturbochris) work on my car as I know he takes pride in what he does and doesn't see it as just a job, so again well done to you both for bringing happiness to someone's life. :)

Cheers abz. I know the feeling when it comes to cars, whats the cost going to be, at the end of the day as we all know its very expensive hobby, i always do little extra bits on customers cars i.e brake fluid changes, always fully cleaning the cars once finished. Just little things that go the extra mile. :)

Great gesture guys, club spirit at it's best.

It is quite worrying how many cars seem to have loose subframe bolts. 1.5 turns is ridiculous though. I don't think people realise that checking torque of subframe bolts is a service item, they really do need to be checked regularly. How long will it be before we see cars with missing subframe bolts? I think this thread shows the importance of going to someone who knows the car to get alignment done. I am sure traders on here that deal with bad handling issues and alignment, would check sub frame bolts as a matter of course.