The mkiv Supra Owners Club

BPU Test Ride

2soops

Hi guys,

I want to go BPU over the winter, and was wondering how much better/quicker the car would feel afterwards. I was also wondering whether the extra power is all at the top end or whether you get a good low end gain for normal day to day driving.

Ive read the guide on here but wonder if anyones found any pitfalls or things to avoid when doing the conversion. How have you found the mpg afterwards.

Finally, i know its a bit cheeky but if anyone around Oxfordshire fancies giving me a quick spin in their BPU car (as a passenger obviuosly), i could sort you out a drink for your trouble. It would be great to get a comparison before i go ahead.

Thanks

BPU make a big difference to the Supra, it really brings the car to life. The turbos spool up quicker and give more power across the whole rev range.

Before going ahead check the condition the intercooler, if it's the original SMIC and the fins are crumbling/missing then fit a new intercooler before going bpu.

Running the j-spec turbos at 1.2bar can reduce their life, there is a risk of the ceramic turbine blowing.

This all sounds very encouraging, my turbos were both rebuilt with steel blades a couple of years back so that should be okay. Before i knew any better i bought a HKS FMIC which is in good shape too so no problems there either.

Thanks for the offers guys, does seem a bit thin on Supras round here. You hardly ever see any unless your away from home.

Does anyone have any advice on which parts are the best quality to use, i'd rather buy something i know will work well straight away rather than upgrading cheap parts later

I got an aem boost controller which has acts as boost gauge and the boost comtroller also a aem afr gauge. U need to trick the fuel cut, i used a map ecu for this but am lead to believe a hks fcd is fine. Advantage of Map ECU is there are pre-written tables to download for bpu so AFR is not so much of an issue. Not sure if you need to put a restrictor ring in your decat pipe. as mine us uk engine i did not need one but jspec does. You said u have steel turbos now?? You will need to change the fuel pump as well i fitted a Walboro pump. Possibley the spark pugs to??

What boost pressure would anyone advise? :search:

I think 1.2 bar is the normal level that's used. I think 1.4 is ok but pushing it. Don't take my word for it.

Scotty71 took me for a ride in his BPU auto the other week and even though it's the only Supra I've ever been in it felt very quick. The acceleration felt faster than the Ferrari 360 and Lambo Gallardo I drove on an experience earlier in the year.

I think 1.2 bar is the normal level that's used. I think 1.4 is ok but pushing it. Don't take my word for it.

Scotty71 took me for a ride in his BPU auto the other week and even though it's the only Supra I've ever been in it felt very quick. The acceleration felt faster than the Ferrari 360 and Lambo Gallardo I drove on an experience earlier in the year.

I'd not push JSpec's more than 1.2.

If it's been rebuilt, you can go 1.4, with something like the AEM FI/C.

Get a BPU kit off Whifbitz, though. All taken care of.

Had mine done this summer and the car drives much better with bpu.

Only problem I find is that the rear wheels spin up much easier so you really have to be careful. Happened again today on a dual carriageway and is a bit hairy. No idea how people manage with 500+ HP, unless the boost is much smoother on a single.

Go for it. If its dry and your near high wycombe some time I would be happy to take you out.

Mines running bpu. Love the way it brings the supra to life, everything just that little more exciting.

But with it fully bpu'd running a boost controller at 1.3bar and fmic you get a bit bored of the power after a while and want more :)

I have done quite a few bpu to supra's now and never get bored of doing them.

Go for it. You will love it matey

Got my decats on this weekend, just waiting till I get a bit more money to finish off. I guess it's around 400BHP unfortunately that only lasts for 3 seconds at a time until I can afford the HKS FCD:d

It won't be making 400hp at the moment, without an FCD as soon as the ECU sees 1bar it cuts the fuel.

Once you have an FCD fitted and can up the boost to 1.2bar it'll feel a whole lot quicker and power should be around 380-400hp.

Had mine done this summer and the car drives much better with bpu.

Only problem I find is that the rear wheels spin up much easier so you really have to be careful. Happened again today on a dual carriageway and is a bit hairy. No idea how people manage with 500+ HP, unless the boost is much smoother on a single.

You dont think your lack of grip could be weather related do you ? if not what tyres are you using and at what pressure, also has your car ever had the suspension geometry set up.

I am running 1.3 bar on a uk car and can bury the throttle into the carpet and dont have any issues with it spinning up in dry summer time conditions.

It only does it when its damp so its definitely related, but it seemed dry today.

Toyo proxies with good tread and tein suspension. Planning on a geo setup next year which will hopefully help but i would like to get some 18 wheels on there first.

I just wanted to warn the guy, the day after I had mine done I fish tailed it into the kerb, whereas before it had been fine. I could always turn the boost down but I don't want too :)