The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Another one from the "Will these clear UK brakes" category

alex2jz

I really want to move to UK brakes, as i want my car to finally be able to brake lol. Question is, will they fit under the new rims?

The fronts concern me a bit which are 8.5J with 45mm Offset. From the pics you can see the current clearance with J-Spec brakes(facelift NA model) is about a 50 Euro Cent coin and a bit. I have no way of testing Uk brakes until i order them, so i'm relying on the advices on those who have done the conversion and know how much it affected the clearance.

Cheers

Alex

What size are the wheels? If your near wisbech/cambridgeshire i have front and rear uk calipers that i have not fitted yet if you wanted to try?? I dont think there is much depth difference between them think its more the length. Someone may correct me on that as i have not measured these

What size are the wheels? If your near wisbech/cambridgeshire i have front and rear uk calipers that i have not fitted yet if you wanted to try?? I dont think there is much depth difference between them think its more the length. Someone may correct me on that as i have not measured these

Cheers for the offer mate :) but i'm not from that area. They are 18" wheels.

Ive just measured mine for you and the UK calipers require 25 - 27mm extra clearance from where the flat part of the j spec caliper finishes at the back edge. Looks like yours might just clear but it'll be close.

I too have a uk caliper you can try if your around Oxford, or you could try your wheel on another car with uk's already fitted

Think you need to see if someone near you can lend you a set to see. I know some 18" do have issues. Which area are you in as im in essex and se london quite a lot as well?

Out of country mate :( Thats's why i don't have hopes of getting my hands on some UK specs for a test.

Found these which might confirm what you've said, that the length might be the biggest issue. From what I see i have plenty of room. The caliper\spoke clearance is going to be tight tho.

image011.jpg

image012.jpg

Ive just measured mine for you and the UK calipers require 25 - 27mm extra clearance from where the flat part of the j spec caliper finishes at the back edge. Looks like yours might just clear but it'll be close.

I too have a uk caliper you can try if your around Oxford, or you could try your wheel on another car with uk's already fitted

Thanks so much 2soops ! It's going to be really tight ! 25mm or so is the clearance i'm getting now between the caliper and the spoke.

That's so close !! I'm not really a fan of spacers. From what i see, there's no point in ordering them at the moment because i don't really know if they clear or not.. I'll be taking the car to Whifbitz next year and if the UK's fit i'll have them, if not im sticking to JDM ones. New calipers might help refresh the look of the current beat up ones. New discs, pads might help my car finally brake properly and make that damn hand brake hold lol .

Edited by alex2jz (see edit history)

Id change the brake fluid too, it does deteriate with time and new fluid will make a difference. The handbrake can easily be adjusted through the hole in the rear disk. Changing to UK rears wont change the handbrake as it uses the same shoes and mechanism, just grips a different disk