The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Decatting my NA

paddynewman

Hi

Im thinking about decatting my exhaust... might as well as i like it noisy, can always bung them back in for MOT if needed.

What im having trouble with is sourcing the pipes. Ive seem some on whifbitz, i know its good quality stuff..and id love to purchase but ive found some on the 'bay.

Unfortunately, says turbo or 2JZ GTE... I am minus the T :(

Will these fit just be a bit bigger than the 2.5 inch pipe currently or should i buy NA specific?

Im aware it says turbo only.. but id rather ask you guys than an ebay seller.. sorry if im being totally daft, but id rather get rid of both 1st and 2nd in one go!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TOYOTA-SUPRA-JZA80-2JZGTE-EXHAUST-1st-2nd-DECAT-KIT-/170507640241?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item27b30c1db1#ht_1348wt_1026

If it's fully decatted, then you will need some form of baffle in the end can. I had a straight through pipe a few years ago and it was actually painful to drive - anything over 60mph and I had to open the windows as the noise felt like it was pressurising the cabin.

Everything I've owned, bikes, trikes & cars have had the baffles knocked out and drag pipes fitted (one bike could set off car alarms on the other side of the road) and the Supra is the only vehicle that has made me scared (and ashamed) to press the throttle.

I would suggest having a look for the exhaust noise thread and getting an idea of what different pipes sound like. I ended up getting a full Whifbitz system and it's brilliant, not too loud that you can't hold a conversation on the motorway, but a good howl when you get over 4k rpm.

Ha, that sounds a bit worrying!

Ive got a HKS silent power pro i think.. I failed the brands hatch trackday noise test.

The current sound isnt too loud though, atleast inside the car i have the radio less than half, and can still chat.

I can always buy the decat pipes and refit the cat if needed, or put some form of db killer in there!

Agree with animal here, when cruising at 60 on the motorway it was terrible. The only way to explain it is watch an old war film and listen to the droning sound of the engines of a big bomber. Or the musical way a bumble bee buzzzing in the mic at a rock concert.

Ideally you want an exhaust designed specifically for an NA, these usually have slightly narrower piping and a 2nd silencer on the mid pipe.

An NA with an exhaust design for a TT, decat pipe and tubular manifold will make your ears bleed!

I fitted Autobahn88 headers, and with the OE exhaust system it sounded nice and crisp.

Then changed to a 3" HKS silent power......... It was so

LOUD

that I was sure my fillings were going to fall out.

Ended up adding an Apexi tail silencer and 2 Moroso spiral mufflers.

Pics and details in my garage and albums.

Edited by David P (see edit history)