The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Snow...both fun and scary!

paddynewman

So, I had to drop my friend back home, needed to look after his kid etc..

Left my house and changed route after realising a steep incline and the light dusting of snow could be a bit mental.

Chose the "busy" route, main 4 lane road onto a motorway.

All was fine.

Snow came on like a storm and it was pretty hectic. A supra is my first RWD car.. also ive heard its probably the least forgiving RWD car??

Well my beast got me there in 1 piece.

The trip back was worse, snow had laid and the only way home was up 2 hills, down a very steep hill with sharp turns and alot of roundabouts!

It handled superb round the roundabouts, drifting quite a bit but always going where there front wheels were aiming! Only problem was I couldnt actually build up speed, after about 25-30mph the wheels just lose traction and start twitching the rear.

Its fantastic on an empty huge roundabout... but arse clenching everytime it steps out in the rear.

What a great evening :eyebrows:

Just thought i'd post this and hear what anyone has to say!

Any significant difference of putting the 16s on rather than 18s?

Are snow tyres worth it, I drive this thing daily...whatever the weather..aside from today as I couldnt get to work and definitely wouldnt have got back alive!

So, I had to drop my friend back home, needed to look after his kid etc..

Left my house and changed route after realising a steep incline and the light dusting of snow could be a bit mental.

Chose the "busy" route, main 4 lane road onto a motorway.

All was fine.

Snow came on like a storm and it was pretty hectic. A supra is my first RWD car.. also ive heard its probably the least forgiving RWD car??

Well my beast got me there in 1 piece.

The trip back was worse, snow had laid and the only way home was up 2 hills, down a very steep hill with sharp turns and alot of roundabouts!

It handled superb round the roundabouts, drifting quite a bit but always going where there front wheels were aiming! Only problem was I couldnt actually build up speed, after about 25-30mph the wheels just lose traction and start twitching the rear.

Its fantastic on an empty huge roundabout... but arse clenching everytime it steps out in the rear.

What a great evening :eyebrows:

Just thought i'd post this and hear what anyone has to say!

Any significant difference of putting the 16s on rather than 18s?

Are snow tyres worth it, I drive this thing daily...whatever the weather..aside from today as I couldnt get to work and definitely wouldnt have got back alive!

get some stock wheels or 16/17 wheels with winter tyres that's what most members do.

Is it? I thought most of them wimped out and tucked the car up in the garage for the winter months. ;)

The Supra is no worse than any other RWD car in the snow.

I prefer to call it being sensible ;) i dont want my car being crashed into by some dick who cant drive on snow, or even worse if you or someone else hits ice which can catch the best drivers out resulting in a pile of scrap at the side of the rd.

Fit narrow wheels and tyres and drop the pressures a bit will definetly help on snow but if you hit ice then your usually crossing your fingers and hoping for the best, unless ofcourse you have studded tyres fitted :)

The Supra is no worse than any other RWD car in the snow.

My work mate has a BMW 323ci with traction control and anti skid.. he can happily pull away and drive normally, yet im all over the place on 2mm of throttle :p

I love RWD.. its a blast, i'd go for spin (literally) right now if I could get off the drive ;)

Time of year when 4WD comes into it's own, my old Quattro with lockable diffs could plow it's way through anything, even made it up Kirkstone Pass in the Lakes in the snow, which was fun :)

Sat here waiting for some decent snow but nothing yet, 4x4 with lockable diffs ready and waiting :D

i took my legnum out yesterday (4x4 estate) to get chinese. sure we only have an inch and a half of snow but its all compacted on the roads on the estate before i get out onto the main roads. it was great. its all uphill too (downhill on the way back obv)

not regretting getting a 4x4 as a 2nd car :p

I have a Shogun, which is ace in the snow, I'm loving it :)

However I have to get 2 Supras from Horsham, West Sussex to Harrogate North Yorkshire..........that will be a slow journey :D

I think i'd wait and see if this weather breaks and then do it ;) or get supraash to do it, he can carry both in one hit !!

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

My old NA was great in the snow......wierd..!!

Not at all, if you are competent at driving a RWD car you should find it a bit easier. Afterall the steering is independant of the power. Having both on the same axle makes it all the more tricky, you can't power away from things... when you use power the car just goes in whatever direction momentum takes it.

I think that means that you shouldn't be trying to build up any more speed ;)

Not at all, if you are competent at driving a RWD car you should find it a bit easier. Afterall the steering is independant of the power. Having both on the same axle makes it all the more tricky, you can't power away from things... when you use power the car just goes in whatever direction momentum takes it.

True. Felt more comfortable in it that any of the FWD cars we have owned. That said, the TT is still sat on my drive under cover and I will not be venturing out in it at all.

H.

True. Felt more comfortable in it that any of the FWD cars we have owned. That said, the TT is still sat on my drive under cover and I will not be venturing out in it at all.

H.

For the best, too many nutters in their FWD cars kicking about :D