The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Auto or Manual

Guest 2JZ-FTW

Guest 2JZ-FTW

Hey all.

Thinking of chopping in my current motor for a TT.

The manuals are stupidly priced but the Auto's are a lot lower, saw a stunning Auto for about £5k and just wondered if the auto's are crap or worth the crack.

I've read a few reviews and such explaining about switching for mini manual mode and sports mode which retards the ignition and some people even claim they are quicker off the mark.

So many questions lol..

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

manuals are more expensive because they are a lot rarer therefore fetch a higher premium. Been in two autos and I would say there is no difference apart from the obvious between them and the manuals. Its all down to preference and what you hope to achieve. If you are intending to highly modify your supe then a manual would be a better starting point as the stock auto box is only good for about 500bhp.

manuals are more expensive because they are a lot rarer therefore fetch a higher premium. Been in two autos and I would say there is no difference apart from the obvious between them and the manuals. Its all down to preference and what you hope to achieve. If you are intending to highly modify your supe then a manual would be a better starting point as the stock auto box is only good for about 500bhp.

Only 500hp,'lol

Guest 2JZ-FTW

Thanks for the replies :)

How much does it cost for a Triptronic auto box? or are they standard on the auto's?

To be honest i'd be happy with 400horses as its only 75 more than stock lol. Never really driven RWD before. The only thing thats putting me off is not being in control of the gears for corners etc, is the autobox that reliable?

Tiptronic are even rarer than the 6 speed - I'd say the best option out of the lot for me.

I have an auto (not tiptronic) and I love it. For everyday driving you can't beat an auto. Straight line speed has been proved to be better in the autobox too - over the drag runs, the autos always get to the 1/4 mile mark faster compared to the equivalent manual. If you're planning on taking your car on loads of track days or planning big power, then look deeper in your purse for a manual perhaps - otherwise, the auto is just fine :)

There is a level of control with the standard autobox, it's possible to drop down gears for corners if you want. There's 4 gears available and you can drop it to any of them at any point.

I'd drive all three and see which suits.

Indeed, if you drive all the options, then determine that the one you really want is out of your budget, then save up a little more - shouldn't take long with the price of supra's nowadays :)

Having said that I'd love the tiptronic, but that option was ultra rare when I first purchased moons ago. I've not heard of much tuning done on them though, which might be a problem, as most members get the tuning bug at some point.

You really need to try before you buy. The Auto is an amazing box being strong and silky smooth (Smoother than the technology packed box on my M5). Unless you are really very good at gear changes, an equally powered auto will get to above motorways speed before a six speed. There is a manual function on the box which gives you all the control you need. The Tiptronic system uses the same amazing box with the addition of finger tip control. The one I drove was fun, so if you can find one certainly worth getting. If I was buying a sub 500 bhp car, I would go back to an auto, without giving it a second thought.

Guest 2JZ-FTW

Sorry to keep yappering but with this semi control that everyones talking about is it easy to get used too? I've never driven an Auto all i know is D means go P is Park and R is reverse lol.

Are they setup like that 1,2,3 you see on auto's? and then you just drop up and down as required? Does anyone have a rough idea of the redlines in relations to mph before you have to shift?

Sorry to keep yappering but with this semi control that everyones talking about is it easy to get used too? I've never driven an Auto all i know is D means go P is Park and R is reverse lol.

Are they setup like that 1,2,3 you see on auto's? and then you just drop up and down as required? Does anyone have a rough idea of the redlines in relations to mph before you have to shift?

Yup, the Autos are idiot proof - i'd go with the advice suggested above - Try all three, go with the best one for you (experience, future plans, budget).

Guest 2JZ-FTW

19" DARE ALLOYS WITH KUMHO SPORT TYRES ALL ROUND

265/30/19,s REAR 235/40/19,s FRONT

BLITZ NUR SPEC STAINLESS EXHAUST (sounds great)

FOLD OUT FULL SCREEN DVD/CD PLAYER WITH REMOTE

VENTED BONNET

THOR RACING STAINLESS DIALS

HKS INDUCTION

HKS DUMP VALVE

SAMCO HOSES

PILLAR BOOST AND VOLTAGE GUAGES

CLIFFORD ALARM

LEATHER INTERIOR

plus the usual

ELECTRIC SEATS,MIRRORS,WINDOWS

AIR CON

AIR BAGS

TRACTION CONTROL

POWER STEERING

CRUISE CONTROL

Thats the spec so I doubt any further mods.

Nearly $hit myself when I saw the price of rubber, bit scared now lol.

make sure you get decent rubber for this weather......else it will end in tears.

a lot of people suggest that 19" are very poor for handling specially on the stock suspension; i'd go with 18" Max.

VENTED BONNET

HKS INDUCTION

HKS DUMP VALVE

SAMCO HOSES

CLIFFORD ALARM

LEATHER INTERIOR

plus the usual

AIR CON

AIR BAGS

TRACTION CONTROL

POWER STEERING

CRUISE CONTROL

This is the chap then....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TOYOTA-SUPRA-TWIN-TURBO-/320623619959?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item4aa6a82f77

If you are worried about the price of tyres I would reconsider your goals. What do you drive at the mo?

Guest 2JZ-FTW
make sure you get decent rubber for this weather......else it will end in tears.

a lot of people suggest that 19" are very poor for handling specially on the stock suspension; i'd go with 18" Max.

How much are the stock 18's to pick up, to be honest i'm not a fan of big wheels.

This is the chap then....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TOYOTA-SUPRA-TWIN-TURBO-/320623619959?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item4aa6a82f77

If you are worried about the price of tyres I would reconsider your goals. What do you drive at the mo?

Renaultsport Megane, the guy seems up for a swap but i'm a bit reluctant with the wheels imho. Yeah thats the one, what the verdict?

VENTED BONNET

HKS INDUCTION

HKS DUMP VALVE

SAMCO HOSES

CLIFFORD ALARM

LEATHER INTERIOR

plus the usual

AIR CON

AIR BAGS

TRACTION CONTROL

POWER STEERING

CRUISE CONTROL

If you can't afford the rubber how are you going to afford to fuel the supe ?? IMO if you have to ask then you can't afford it

Guest 2JZ-FTW
If you can't afford the rubber how are you going to afford to fuel the supe ?? IMO if you have to ask then you can't afford it

Fuel isnt a problem mate, the megane only covers around 4mpg more than the sup round town. If your lucky you see hight twenties. Just a bit put off by the sheer size of the allys and the rubber. Dont fancy nearly a grand all round for four clumps of rubber.

Fuel isnt a problem mate, the megane only covers around 4mpg more than the sup round town. If your lucky you see hight twenties. Just a bit put off by the sheer size of the allys and the rubber. Dont fancy nearly a grand all round for four clumps of rubber.
That four clumps of rubber is the only contact between you and the road ;)

I wouldn't skimp on rubber, they are very powerful cars & you need good traction to keep the back end in check, especially if it is wet! You will find the Supra is a massive change of driving style from your Megane Sport! Most likely scare the you know what out of you! :D

Guest 2JZ-FTW

LMFAO Love some of the replies. So are they that bad on mpg? a few places claimed 25mpg lol. How much would a full tank cost and what kind of miles can i expect to a full tank?

How much are the stock 18's to pick up, to be honest i'm not a fan of big wheels.

The stock wheels are 17's and you can every now and then pick up a good used set for around £300 without rubber.

You can return good mpg out of a bpu tt but you need to really behave yourself which is quite difficult with over 400 hp on tap :)

The autobox is superb but as said already see if you can get a drive in the various options, theres lots of members in the midlands but the weather might be against you. My cars off the rd or you could of had a run in that to get an idea.

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)