The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Dont push that stock engine to far!

JamieP

When i did the first thunder road on my stock engine at the begining of last year it devolped a knocking noise, i waited to post what happened till we stripped the engine down, today was that day.

This was at about 730bhp

EDIT.. I had gear dependant boost and was only running 1.3 bar in 6th gear, about 600bhp in top gear i guess.

Can see what was wrong now, Its twisted one of the rods so the piston has come down too far, the piston has made contact with the crank which has broken the side of the piston. This has also taken the oil squirter out as well.

Lee is getting me some pics.

I know you hear stories of these engines running 1000bhp on stock internals but this is real use on a 50,000 mile engine, not one run on a dyno.

1 mile events have killed two engines for me now, cant see me doing another tbh.

Edited by JamieP (see edit history)

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

am surprised tbh as surely the 2jz can take a 0-19/23 second beating..

so the ?

is 730bhp too much for it, i think you might have been unlucky ? and maybe a coincidence it happened at the mile events ? as you have done many many miles on your car and you dont hang about ?..how many miles did you do on both engines prior to failing ?

what was the part or reason on the first engine that failed ?

am surprised tbh as surely the 2jz can take a 0-19/23 second beating..

so the ?

is 730bhp too much for it, i think you might have been unlucky ? and maybe a coincidence it happened at the mile events ? as you have done many many miles on your car and you dont hang about ?..how many miles did you do on both engines prior to failing ?

what was the part or reason on the first engine that failed ?

Ive never held it flat out on the road in 6th gear like you do at thunder road.

This is the first engine we are talking about, the stock rod has failed.

I think what Jamies getting at is that stock engines can cope with huge power, but when using them properly they may not last. To be fair Jamie, you were running more than twice the power that Toyota were intending when they designed the 2JZ :)

Will be a shame to see you retiring from the mile races Jamie, always makes for good reading :)

Ive never held it flat out on the road in 6th gear like you do at thunder road.

This is the first engine we are talking about, the stock rod has failed.

i see, well your car was still pretty impressive in performances figures/stats even with stock conrod..

you know what USA is like for figures on stock blocks.

so which conrods are you going for ;-)

I suspect the bent rod was probly down to the load you put on it running 6th gear at 2.0 bar.

Thats another thing i forgot to mention, i was having boost issues on the day, i could not get over 1.3bar in 6th, most likely about 600bhp tops, we later realised i still had the boost set to be lower in 6th from when we first mapped it two gears ago, gear dependant boost was set to run low boost in 6th.

We must not forget the car was running 2 bar (approx 800hp) and a flat out run through all the gears. It may have been a little bit or pre ignition, im just surprised it survived as well as it did.

Just goes to show how strong these things are!! Any other car would have spat the rod out the side of the block. This got jamie home from thunder road and he spanked the life out of it just before he got to mine. :D

Thats another thing i forgot to mention, i was having boost issues on the day, i could not get over 1.3bar in 6th, most likely about 600bhp tops, we later realised i still had the boost set to be lower in 6th from when we first mapped it two gears ago, gear dependant boost was set to run low boost in 6th.

Maybe worth a post on the US forum to see if any of regular mile event guys guys have had similar problems?

We must not forget the car was running 2 bar (approx 800hp) and a flat out run through all the gears. It may have been a little bit or pre ignition, im just surprised it survived as well as it did.

Just goes to show how strong these things are!! Any other car would have spat the rod out the side of the block. This got jamie home from thunder road and he spanked the life out of it just before he got to mine. :D

It was only running 2 bar in the first 3 gears mate, and had race fuel in it.

Edited by JamieP (see edit history)

What would you say , would be an ideal BHP for a stock block , will you be trying to get to the 1000 bhp. or stick at about 700 bhp.

700bhp is most likely fine for a healthy engine, just dont run it to hard in the higher gears would be my advice.

Im still going with the same plan.

700bhp is most likely fine for a healthy engine, just dont run it to hard in the higher gears would be my advice.

Im still going with the same plan.

Did you used to bounce off the limiter, Jamie? I'm guessing the lack of mechanical sympathy won't help - but even so, what a block the 2JZ is to take that.