The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Just had my first proper play in the tt - wow,... and other unexpected results.

SupraStar 3000

Snow covered roads isn't exactly the best conditions to be testing your pride and joy to the limit, but sometimes you just have to go with your balls.

Had the Supra for quite some time now but never really explored its limits.

I knew something wasn't quite right with the power, so been driving very carefully until today. Found some Vpower fuel, filled the tank and went for a spirited drive.

Turbos spooled fine all signs seemed good. Constant temp readings and no smoke.

Suddenly after 15miles I hear a slight pop and the turbos really came alive. Much more responsive with a much bigger kick. Back end dancing all over the road and a much more familiar sensation that I had expected, if not more.

No idea what might have free'd up or sparked into life. Any ideas?

Icing on the cake came when a porsche 911 turbo decide to play.

I was amazed to see I actually kept up with him, and even reeled him in at higher speed. Only on the roundabouts did he leave me,... most likely much more confident on the wet. Pulled up at the lights and he said to take the 4th exit on the next round about and do it again,... so we did,... and again we kept up and reeled him in. Bloody fantastic. I'm well chuffed with this little car.

Happy days :)

your a brave man taking the supra out in this weather lol, what i find is most drivers tend not to know how to use the kickdown on the supra autobox so car will seem sluggish if not throttled at right revs etc..(or if they have o/d on etc etc)..

so maybe after 15 miles you decided to really opened it up and and let her fly lol...

i tend to hit the gas pedal twice etc to boot it otherwise its not as active..or really give the pedal 100% throttle push .

am sure other auto owners will chime in with techniques.

Hi mate,

No, the power difference was far more than a miss timed kickdown or by catching the revs wrong.

Wish I had a boost gauge so I could have seen the bar reading.

My foot hardly moved on the throttle when I heard the pop, and seconds later the turbo real came alive without me changing my throttle position.

The car's been stored for a few weeks and only short runs, so it is possible something just loosened up.

Either that, or Sammy the squirrel has just been fired out of my exhaust.

Ether way,.. I'm really happy. :thumbs:

your a brave man taking the supra out in this weather lol, what i find is most drivers tend not to know how to use the kickdown on the supra autobox so car will seem sluggish if not throttled at right revs etc..(or if they have o/d on etc etc)..

so maybe after 15 miles you decided to really opened it up and and let her fly lol...

i tend to hit the gas pedal twice etc to boot it otherwise its not as active..or really give the pedal 100% throttle push .

am sure other auto owners will chime in with techniques.

Edited by SupraStar 3000 (see edit history)

Boost gauge is on Santa's list :D

I personally think that maybe the turbo hadn't been run in sufficient enough to work properly which is my fault.

Doesn't matter mate as I'm chuffed to bits. Just wish this damn snow would go away so I can play again.

well we only did 50 miles after rebuilding head and turbos.. might just needed a good HOOT then lol..

can wait to see it again next year at some shows.. be nice to show it off (hopefully new wheels and exhaust by then)

glad to hear you got it out finally,

im around you neck the woods this week. if you fancy meeting up for a pint let us know

Sure mate. I'll let you know. :thumbs:

Were you wearing sensible footwear today Ed. Those high heels you normally drive in can't help with pressing the accelerator down.

I just can't do Heel-and-toe like I can with my trusty size 12 high heels :D