The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Can I drive your Supra ?

Keefred

You can have a go in mine, Kent area. I think mine drives crap and want to compare it with someone elses, more interested in the way it drives rather than the perfomance so prefer N/A, auto or manual. Had Toyotas for years and some have looked like they have been pulled out of a breakers yard but they have always driven pukka but my Supra seems to be a bit of a donkey, drive wise. I want to compare so I can decide wether to spend the money on it to get it right or sell it and buy another one.

You can have a go in mine, Kent area. I think mine drives crap and want to compare it with someone elses, more interested in the way it drives rather than the perfomance so prefer N/A, auto or manual. Had Toyotas for years and some have looked like they have been pulled out of a breakers yard but they have always driven pukka but my Supra seems to be a bit of a donkey, drive wise. I want to compare so I can decide wether to spend the money on it to get it right or sell it and buy another one.

I guess he means handling :)

I am happy with the perfomance, such as it is, and the gearbox is superb, it just doesn't seem to live up to the way it looks with the way it drives, I certainly wouldn't try and drive it like a 'sports car'

It has 18s on it with 35 profiles I think, tyres are quite new and I usually put 34 psi all round. I reckon the suspension is original, it just seems loose, noisy, rattly, just not tight like all the other Toyotas I have had. I am kind of looking for an easy solution, if it's the springs and shocks I am prepared to replace them but I don't want to just keep throwing money at it. I was hoping someone else could drive it and offer a solution from experience.

It kind of drives like it has been lowered with harder springs, but doesn't handle like it. It having a service and mot soon, I'll have to get the bloke to have a good look and check the subframe bolts first I think.

I have been round your house Raven, I bought a boot blind from you last year. You had to come and find me because your postcode on multimap takes you somewhere else !

After shocks the next most likely thing is your suspension arms and geo. My car felt like you describe and I never trusted it at all until I replaced all the rear arms, links and bushes. Although it was expensive it was well worth it and any car you buy instead may have exactly the same issue depending on age and how it's been treated. After I had the arms done I also put decent shocks and springs on and then took it to get a proper geo set up and the results of all this were that it transformed the car and i'm now totally happy chucking it about. I can't say how much difference it made.

Plenty of other people have done this too as these are up to 17 year old cars after all and the suspension does wear.

See thread here re suspension arms: http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?119349-Suspension-refresh-(wishbones-etc)-The-results...&highlight=suspension+arms

And here re Geo setup: http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?157231-My-geometry-amp-corner-balancing-day&highlight=centre+gravity

Supras are between 9-17 years old now, parts wear out over time, my 94 Supra had all new suspension parts fitted in 2005 and it absolutely transformed the handling, ride quality and grip. I was shocked by just how much of a difference it made, I'd obviously been driving around for at least a couple of years not realising just how bad the handling had become.

Full instructions how to inspect and service the suspension HERE