The mkiv Supra Owners Club

New Garrett GTX Turbos

Nic

It'd be interesting to see someone trying one the new Garrett GTX turbos to see how they perform.

Available sizes - GTX3071R, GTX3076R, GTX3582R, GTX4294R, GTX4202R, GTX4508R

Promotional release.

Garrett Unveils the GTX30R and GTX35R Series Turbos at SEMA 2010

The release of these three new turbos, the GTX3071R, the GTX3076R and the GTX3582R raises the bar for mid-frame turbo performance. More BOOST and additional FLOW without losing BOOST RESPONSE is result of extensive research and development of a new and more aerodynamic profile of compressor wheels. The GTX3076R can now flow nearly 65 lb/min and the GTX3582R has the potential to do over 750HP in the compact familiar external package of the standard GT turbos we've grown to appreciate. You do not have to change your turbo kit arrangement!

While Garrett by Honeywell is currently the industry leader and the standard in providing ultra-reliable, ultra-high-performance turbos, the Garrett Engineering Team has done it again. Always leading the pack in setting new standards, this latest iteration of turbo innovation comes from applying decades of turbocharger experience and utilizing some of the most technologically advanced tools to model, develop, and test new combinations.

With the abundance of CNC machining equipment availability coupled with the wave of idling machine shops and people wanting to work, it's easy to "carve" out a compressor wheel from aluminum blanks and introduce a "billet wheel" to the turbo marketplace.

Garrett's GTX wheel is not just another "billet wheel." Garrett's forged, fully machined wheels allow quicker deployment of their aerodynamics to the marketplace. While more expensive to make PER UNIT, this PROCESS allows Garrett to make new turbo models available to the public. The development of these wheels still go through the strenuous and rigorous process Garrett follows when developing any other wheel to be offered to the public. This means, proper consideration is placed not only on the cutting edge of aerodynamics and profiles, these units have to be reliable (OEM level) as well as safe during operation. While other "billet wheel" manufacturers might choose to "maximize" the flow area of the compressor wheel to achieve flow via shear mass and area (size) at the risk of "weakening" the wheel, Garrett's focus is more on efficiency through aerodynamics and profiling the wheel to ensure the structural integrity of the wheel is not compromised. You do not want the wheel to come apart at 150,000 RPMs!

Pay close attention to the unique profile of the Garrett wheels. Whether these new

wheels are forged and machined (happens to have the "billet" look), or once they are sent through the traditional cast process (to reduce cost to you while performance is maintained), the GTX series of turbos will allow you to set new performance standards and take your turbo application to new heights.

LsSwa5cYP8g

MidframeGTXflyer.pdf

Not that new now but the range has got bigger, released in 2009, i was looking at buying one last xmas.

Yes the larger framed ones were released last year, the medium frame ones this year.

I'm personally most interested in the GTX35R, could make for a great street setup.

80mm turbo that, to big if you want 800bhp, thats a 1200bhp turbo that will need race fuel to get the best from it.

Going to be running E85. May possibly go for a gt42 instead though. Will see next year when it comes time foir the build though, still not to sure as to what i want my top marker to be. 1000bhp would be a nice figure but its all about the way its delivered. I think your last setup was good,might go for something like that.

E85 is a bit thin on the ground around our way though, so bear that in mind. The old GT42R was a great turbo, so it will be interesting to see how the GTX betters it.

Yeah I was trying to find a garage online that supplies it near us and couldn't. I have a few massive fuel containers,I will have to bulk buy it and store it in my unit if I go down this road.

The gtx turbos do look good,only issue for the gtx4508r I would like is fitting it on due to the compressor housing being large

Yeah I was trying to find a garage online that supplies it near us and couldn't. I have a few massive fuel containers,I will have to bulk buy it and store it in my unit if I go down this road.

The gtx turbos do look good,only issue for the gtx4508r I would like is fitting it on due to the compressor housing being large

That might be your only option if you go down the E85 route, PITA for a road car though. Morrisons used to sell it, but I believe they have removed the pump from our nearest one now.

Not teaching you to suck eggs, but sit down and decide what your goals really are. Simply choosing the biggest of everything isn't always a great recipe for a nice driving car.

That might be your only option if you go down the E85 route, PITA for a road car though. Morrisons used to sell it, but I believe they have removed the pump from our nearest one now.

Not teaching you to suck eggs, but sit down and decide what your goals really are. Simply choosing the biggest of everything isn't always a great recipe for a nice driving car.

At the minute I'm just collecting the parts for a big power build,not sure how far I'm going to push things yet. At the minute my only goal is I want a car capable of going in excess of 200mph which is an ambition of mine. I have been talking to alot of people about different setups. As for the E85 it is a pain but won't always be necessary, only when the boost is raised quite high. Lee has said I could have maps done for say 800bhp and when I want to take it up the strip etc I could run e85 and push it abit more. I will put alot of thought into it first though

The old GT42R was a great turbo, so it will be interesting to see how the GTX betters it.

Garrett's claims seem impressive.

Garrett® GTX-R turbos feature:

. 10%+ Gain in flow over

traditional GT compressor

wheel designs

. 10%+ Higher pressure ratio

compared to traditional GT

compressor wheel designs

. Forged, fully machined wheels

. 11 Full-blade design for

improved efficiency

Compressor map comparison

http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarrett/images/catalog/Turbochargers/gt42_images/GT4202RvGTX4202RCompressorM.gif

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Stillen

I recently found a shop that machines smaller compressor housings to be compatible with large frame turbos. I also ordered a GTX35R from them because apparently they are the only ones that have them in stock. :cool:

http://turblown.net