The mkiv Supra Owners Club

T51R noise ?

Guest thesmileyone

Guest thesmileyone

Just a general question really, but what is it on that turbo that gives it the noise it makes ? The big whistle and a noise almost like letting off when you dont have a dumpvalve (fluttering)

example :

@ 40 seconds.

Are there any other turbochargers that are smaller that make the same noise ?

Cheers

Guest mikethecripple
A 900ps rotary?? How long for lol. Think that dyno is a bit poorly...

its the anti-surge housing you know how it has holes drilled around the inlet of the turbo?... thats it. it also helps with the turbo spooling up quicker in the low revs :D

hope it helped

Guest thesmileyone

Trying to find any that sound similair and failing...the t04z sounds nothing like it! The reason i ask is when i buy a TT i want to go single asap, but i dont have the £££ to build an engine for a big turbo, 400hp would do me fine!

You can get 400hp quite easily with the stock turbos, if that is your power goal there is no point going single. Running the stock turbos without a BOV will give you a bit of turbo flutter on lift off, it'll be more noticeable with a pod filter. Saying that doing modifications just for the sound is a very strange way of going about things.

The smallest single I would go for would be a T61/GT35R which is good for around 550hp, but not a conversion you want to do on a tight budget (£8K-10K+ it'll cost you to do it properly). The GT35R is available with a ported anti surge housing, it is also available with a V-band manifold flange, which may make it sound a little like a T51R. You could buy the HKS T51R Kit with out the turbo and then bolt on a Garrett GT35R or GTX35R turbo.

The T04Z is good for 600+hp.

Edited by Nic (see edit history)

Guest thesmileyone

Yeah its more the sound, im not in any rush to get to big power, if i waste money getting there by trying different setups then so be it, its only money after all! TBH i would rather spend it on cams, head, block etc than buying a massive turbo straight away :)