The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Aero Alarm Upgrade

SupraMan Mk4

Good Morning people.

I have decided this morning as I shivered uncontrollably in the Supra that it is time to upgrade the Alarm system. I have to primary reasons for this. Summer and Winter.

The first is that the current system is not up to scratch for an aero.

Summer - I can't have the roof off in the summer with the alarm set as it constantly goes off which becomes a tad annoying when you have to then put the roof back on.

And secondly in the winter I would much prefer to get in a warmer car taking advantage of a remote start set-up. I have an auto so shouldn't have any issues with starting it and it Kangarooing into the neighbours Micra.

Does anybody have/know off a system that would be ideal for my requirements - Remote Start feature and, If I have been informed correctly a ''microwave'' feature for when the roof is off in the summer.

Budget is currently £500 fitted, let me know if this is unrealistic, or of any products that would suit the Supra.

Thanks,

Paul

Clifford, I have the 650MKII with remote start and all the bells and whistles, I wouldnt get anything else. I did have the falcon previous to this with remote start etc but it is not a patch on the Clifford, plus the clifford is Thatham Approved

Not with the remote start it isn't ;)

Not with the remote start it isn't ;)

Didnt know that, every day is a school day; not that it matters in Ireland when you say Thatham Approved. you might as well be talking to brick wall

But I was also under the impression Thatham Approved also indicated the quality behind how the Alarm unit is constructed, components are of a certain grade/Standard

Even not beening seen as Thatham Approved with remote start in the eyes of an insurance company at least you are assured the Alarm is spec to a high level and high standard.

Making it more difficult to bypass than other alarms, it is only a deterant and if your have a better deterant than the other car hopefully they will think twice

Jellybean how much did yours cost fitted if you dont mind me asking?

I am in Ireland but mine was 800 pound installed; looks like it is 564 in UK. I would ask around for recommended installers in your area, the alarm is only as good as its installation

http://www.dragoncaraudio.co.uk/car-alarms-portsmouth.html

Clifford AvantGuard 5.5 with Intellistart

• Valid Cat 1 insurance ready installation certificate,

• Intellistart remote start,

• Tilt/Motion & Glass Tamper sensor,

• High spec. top of the range Clifford car alarm.

Supplied and expertly fitted for £480 +VAT (£564 inc VAT)

The Clifford AvantGuard 5.5 with Intellistart is same Alarm just has more accessaries as standard

Microwave technology I dont have but as far as I am aware it is an accessary, but I dont like it. More troublesome than its worth plus I think it is far too dated.

Dont think they use it anymore in there systems

http://www.clifford.co.uk

Heres the Spec for 650MKII

Thatcham Approved (Category 1)

Dual-Circuit Imobiliser

Includes two new style 5-button Transmitters

On-board door Lock relays with double pulse lock/unlock capability

BlackJax Anti-Carjacking System

Dual-Zone Proximity Sensor

SSPS5 Battery Backup Siren with Data-link and 6-tone capability

Dome Light Supervision

3 Programmable Aux channel outputs

Total Closure capability

Normally Closed Input

Programming upgrades (grid jump)

Programming upgrades (PIN free programming, grid jump, etc)

I used to have a clifford, brilliant alarm. The only issue I have with it is the remote works from miles away.....literally you can be right down the street so you can hardly see your car and it will still work. This was annoying because I would lock the car, put the keys in my pocket and leave....then when I get back to the car it would be unlocked due to the button being sensitive and getting pressed in my pocket while I was walking away I guessed.

I am in Ireland but mine was 800 pound installed; looks like it is 564 in UK. I would ask around for recommended installers in your area, the alarm is only as good as its installation

http://www.dragoncaraudio.co.uk/car-alarms-portsmouth.html

Clifford AvantGuard 5.5 with Intellistart

• Valid Cat 1 insurance ready installation certificate,

• Intellistart remote start,

• Tilt/Motion & Glass Tamper sensor,

• High spec. top of the range Clifford car alarm.

Supplied and expertly fitted for £480 +VAT (£564 inc VAT)

I was really interested in this set up, but have just received an email back from the company stating that the product itself has now been totally discontinued in the UK........Gutted! :(

I was really interested in this set up, but have just received an email back from the company stating that the product itself has now been totally discontinued in the UK........Gutted! :(

The 650MKII took over from the AvantGuard 5.5 but they took off the Remote start and made it an accessary

Its just was handy if you still could get the AvantGuard 5.5 as it had the remote start you wanted

The 650MKII took over from the AvantGuard 5.5 but they took off the Remote start and made it an accessary

Its just was handy if you still could get the AvantGuard 5.5 as it had the remote start you wanted

They took the remote start off so that they could class it as a category 1 alarm system.

I thought the 650 took over the 600 though, not the avant guard. I think they discontinued it as it wasn't a CAT1.

They took the remote start off so that they could class it as a category 1 alarm system.

I thought the 650 took over the 600 though, not the avant guard. I think they discontinued it as it wasn't a CAT1.

From what my Clifford installer told me the 650MKII is the flag ship now and was released to take over from the discontinued Avantguard

Cant find anything so far online to back it up but they appear to be the same alarm but the 650MKII doesnt have so many extras as standard

Will prob go for the 650 now as it does have raving review on here and on the net in general - But it seems that altho it has been discontinued the 5.5 was a better option, at least value for money wise. I came with more as standard for under £550 whereas the 650, altho it is a similar model, it does have less included as standard and is over £565.

For a ''like4like'' comparison to the 5.5 it would be over £600+ which just seems odd. :search:

Will prob go for the 650 now as it does have raving review on here and on the net in general - But it seems that altho it has been discontinued the 5.5 was a better option, at least value for money wise. I came with more as standard for under £550 whereas the 650, altho it is a similar model, it does have less included as standard and is over £565.

For a ''like4like'' comparison to the 5.5 it would be over £600+ which just seems odd. :search:

If you add on all the accesssaries the AvantGuard has as standard to the 650MKII you will propbaly be around the same $$; my alarm with 70% of accessaries of the Avantguard was 800 or 900 pound installed

Get it with the window closure for lazy security - and the auto start which it's brilliant for cold mornings

I'd love to get all this Johnny but I dont think my budget will stretch far enough. I only have 500 notes, can prob push to 550 without the missus noticing but beyond that i'll have my plastic money taken away from me and be back on weekly pocket money. :blink:

I'd love to get all this Johnny but I dont think my budget will stretch far enough. I only have 500 notes, can prob push to 550 without the missus noticing but beyond that i'll have my plastic money taken away from me and be back on weekly pocket money. :blink:

Good thing about the Alarm you can add to it at a later stage :)

Right bit the bullet and went for the 650MK2 with remote start feature. Went for Dragon car audio for the supply and fit.

I Think the guy is/was a member on here - 'Inti.'

Its getting installed Monday morning. Has anyone else got a Clifford or remote start function. If so how do you find it operates is it relatively simple?

Right bit the bullet and went for the 650MK2 with remote start feature. Went for Dragon car audio for the supply and fit.

I Think the guy is/was a member on here - 'Inti.'

Its getting installed Monday morning. Has anyone else got a Clifford or remote start function. If so how do you find it operates is it relatively simple?

It is simples, you leave your car running press the fob button to active the remote start, get out of the car, close the door, lock the car via the Alarm, Engine shuts off, remote start is activated (This procedure for a manual transmission stops you activating the Remote start and leaving the car in gear - hence why the engine continues to run until you arm the car)

If you de-activate the alarm the remote start is also disabled, you can turn the car on and also off using the Key fob plus if the Temp drop to a certain degree you can setup the car to turn on for X num of mins

To re-activate the remote start you will need have to go through the procedure again, thrust me last thing you want to do is have her in Gear and start her

Edited by Jellybean (see edit history)

Had the Clifford 650 fitted today with the added remote start feature by a member on here. His name is Inti from Dragon Car Audio. A top guy and great service. He was freezin his nuts off out there today. But after many an hour at work its all programmed and ready to go. If you dont already have a clifford 650 I certainly recommend it as a device and if your based down South I would look no further than Inti for a top job.

:thumbs: