The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra track car, advise please

Guest damo-eire

Guest damo-eire

Ok I have a 1995 j spec tt., K&N air filter cone and performance cat cack exhaust.

What would you advise without spending to much cash. At present BPU sounds good

At the moment ive fabricated a de cat(not fitted it yet) from 2.5" stainless

Do i need to upgrade fuel pump

Do i need boost, oil temp, etc gauges

Do i need fuel cut defender & De limiter

And if so wheres best to get all bits & bobs needed

Guest damo-eire
I Have a blits DCSB and Apexi SAFC for sale that could help with the BPU :D i'll sell them for a good price haha.

Sorry new to this, havent got a clue what it is ur selling, if you could explain what they do please...

Also is ther a one stop shop to get all the bits i need to reach bpu

As said read the bpu thread, it lists everything you need in there, you must fit ALL the parts listed together. See traders section on the forum for source of parts.

You would be better to refit the stock airbox - it's not restrictive, is sealed from the engine bay and has 2 cold air feeds - all the cone filter will be doing at the moment is sucking in hot air from the engine bay.

Is it going to be just a track car? If so strip out as much weight as possible and optimise the suspension and braking. You'll also want a set of quality lightweight wheels and decent track tyres.

Have a read of these track car build threads for more information.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?179831-Wez-Track-Supra

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?170424-Supra-Track-Car-Project

Dont know much about BPU but I would suggest removing the Cat Cack from your exhaust would improve the flow :)

I dont wish to sound rude but if you dont know much about it dont give potentially engine damaging advice :)

You cant just do that on J spec, the cats hold the boost from flying upwards, if you do remove the cats you need to fit a restrictor ring to hold it at say 1.1 bar.

Then you fit a boost controller to raise the boost if you wish to 1.2 bar but you'll also need an FCD fuel cut device.

Uk spec turbo's which are steel can cope with a bit more boost and 1.3 bar is okay, j spec are ceramic and most dont run them over 1.2.

You also need to look at the state of the intercooler along with changing the grade of plugs you use.

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

Read again!!! CAT CACK!!!! I was attempting humour!!!

As in...if I had a load of CAT CACK (Cat S**T) in my exhaust it might run better without it!!!

I interpreted your reply meaning removing the cats to free up the flow which as i said you can't do on its own as you risk over boosting and killing the turbos. My apologies if you were attempting humour:search:

I've got a stock TT. Did a trackday as it was and brakes were a nightmare!!! Got UK Brakes so changed discs and added Braided Lines, CW Pads and Race Spec Fluid, that sorted that problem.

Next trackday I did, no worries in a striaght line, but come to the bends and everyone is on top of you, car felt like a boat.

So got a set on HSD Coilovers on order which will hopefully sort my problems. To be honest though I'm tempted by BPU but no point having all that extra power if you can't stop or go round the corners!!!

Guest damo-eire
I've got a stock TT. Did a trackday as it was and brakes were a nightmare!!! Got UK Brakes so changed discs and added Braided Lines, CW Pads and Race Spec Fluid, that sorted that problem.

Next trackday I did, no worries in a striaght line, but come to the bends and everyone is on top of you, car felt like a boat.

So got a set on HSD Coilovers on order which will hopefully sort my problems. To be honest though I'm tempted by BPU but no point having all that extra power if you can't stop or go round the corners!!!

Too true, I already have the bigger uk spec brakes fitted, As far as i know the suspension is standard but to be sure id have to take a look.

Heading towards BPU now and trying to keep everything to a tight budget but i dont want to cut corners either.

Queston to members re fuel cut defencers

Are these all the same and will fit any car?

Turbosmart or HKS

Thanks again in advance

Stiffer antiroll bars will help stop the car from rolling about, adjustable would be the way to go so you could soften them off for wet conditions.

I have the THOR FCD and its been perfect since the day it was fitted which was quite a few years ago now, not sure on the ones you mention.

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)