The mkiv Supra Owners Club

wheel fitting spacer/stud issue

Kaamos

Hi all

I noticed lately, while changing my front brake discs, that my 19" wheels (which were already fitted on the car when I bought it) were mounted with spacers BUT with stock studs on, which are then too short.

As a consequence, bolts had been fastened too strong to compensate for the lack of grip-length (I hope my poor english is making it clear here....) and now 3 of them are just....... gone [sHOCK][/sHOCK]

That being said, I (quickly) need to get new bolts and longer studs but these guys seem to be as rare as unicorns here in France..... all I can get are Mitsubishi studs which are compatible, according to my local dealer, but VERY expensive.....

Could someone here confirm that the Mitsu studs will fit on the Supra and/or give me a link where I could order some, from a uk webshop for instance?

I understand that I need 12x1.5 studs but I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to the other specifications so thank you all for your enlightenments....

(5mm spacers rear , 8mm spacers front)

Do the wheels need the spacers to clear the brake calipers?

The spacers you are using are potentially dangerous. At the moment each wheel is only being supported by the 5 studs, the 5/8mm spacer is moving the wheel away from the hub increasing the loading on the studs and reducing the thread length to torque the nuts onto.

Each wheel should be supported and centralised onto the stub axle - the circular ring on the pic below. With your spacers this is what could happen whilst you are driving.

I'd get rid of the spacers if they are not needed and buy a set of new Toyota studs - hopefully someone will be able to look up the part number for you.

Could he have hubcentric spacers ? its not great but no where near as bad but i do agree and not using spacers is much better.

Post a pic of the spacers you have if you can, to be of any use they need to locate on the spigot ring of the hub and the spigot bore in the wheel.

As Nic says though check you actually need them.

This is a hubcentric spacer, the red arrowed outer diameter should fit snugly inside your wheel and the yellow arrowed internal bore should fit snugly on the spigot hub. This set up carries the vertical loading rather than it all being done by the studs.

images.jpg

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

Could he have hubcentric spacers ? its not great but no where near as bad but i do agree and not using spacers is much better.

He mentioned they were 5mm and 8mm and the stock studs are too short. I don't think you can get hubcentric spacers that thin and I guess the studs are too short because the spacers are reducing the threaded length.

As Dunk said post some pics of the spacers if you can.

Thanks for the already helpufl informations.......

I'll try to make a picture asap to help you understand the situation, but that's what I can already add to the topic :

-let's put the rear wheels aside for the moment as the spacer is thinner and the studs semm to be standing out enough anyway.

-the wheelmania rims apparently do need the spacers to clear the UK brakes, I'll double check it while making the picture but I fear I can't cope ithout the spacers.

Speaking of the spacers, pardon my english but I don't know the exact technical terms..... but as far as I remember, the rear spacer is not hubcentric, as Nic mentioned, but has a separate "ring" to make it fit.

As for the front one, it remained stuck to the rim when I removed the wheel and I haven't investigated so far, but it's remaining stuck to the wheel makes me think it must be hubcentric.... again, I'll check it when I take the wheel off again to make a picure.....

DnK, thanks for the link, but I still don't know which knurl diameter to go for

Edited by Kaamos
details added (see edit history)

I have some good info for you regarding spacers. I had some developed to exact specifications. I only needed 10mm width but you can just add the width to this. The spigot and all other measures are good. Have a look at this drawing:

http://idisk.me.com/stefanbovien/Public/Spacer.jpg

You can also check this thread:

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?225954

Also, here is info on spigot rings, that you might be able to use to get some manufactured to fit your wheels (you just need to external measures changed to fit)

http://idisk.me.com/stefanbovien/Public/Ring.jpg

Yeah, it did. Oh..My..God... It's more a work of art than an intercooler. I feel sorry for it to fit in the car. I think it will have to stay on my dinner table at home the winter over, just because its so damn nice to look at :-)

Don't have the drawings in other format. Good that you found them high res enough. It was an interesting development process. Almost make me wish to have more of an education in that area. Almost sad that I didn't get them developed. I found a set of TTE wheels in stead.

Thanks Chris

thanks for sharing the drawings, these will be helpfull when time for new spacers comes!

back to the topic, does one know the total length and the thread length of a stock stud?

i found 67mm ones (total length) but i fear they may be too long for my 8mm spacer... but i'm hopefully wrong :)

Any UK Toyota parts department should have or be able to get extended wheel studs Kaamos, from memory they're £3 - £4 each. If you search for 'steve manley' (his details might be in a sticky in the members section) and give him a ring he should be able to post them to you.

Thank you all for your informations and links.

Jim,here in France, things don't go that way... local toyota dealers are completely unable to provide any helpful information but telling me to call the national technical center, which I did.

Not only can't they help with extended studs for these are not oem parts and therefore has nothing to do with them, but also were they unable to give me any detail about the stock ones.

Their only answer was "we don't need to bother with such technical details, all we need to know is the part number to provide you the right oem part and it will fit".

The only detail they could gice me about the stock stud was it's..... weight !!!!!! how helpful !

I must say I was quite disappointed/ashamed by such an answer :(