The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Advise on Candy Paint.....

Brazil

Hi,

Guys I need your advise on candy paint. My car is currently painted black with lots of metal flakes 'shimmer'. I would like to painte it candy blood red with a gold basin.

I would like to know if I require to take the paint to bare metal or can I just take a couple of layers off my current paint and spray the 'gold basin' followed by candy blood red.

Has any of you painters ever painted with candy? any advise..? I've already talked to a few people and they were telling me to becarefull not to over spray because candy is a clear paint and it can show darker lines etc.

You don't have to take it back to bare metal, but i suspect the reason people have said that to you, is because, if you have a lot of matalflake in your paint, it takes a lot of lacquer to achieve a smooth surface, so the paint build up is not desirable for adding further coats, and it also makes it more prone to reactions with different paint layers.

My advice would be to take it to a well respected body/paint shop, they will be able to tell you whether it needs removing.

You don't have to take it back to bare metal, but i suspect the reason people have said that to you, is because, if you have a lot of matalflake in your paint, it takes a lot of lacquer to achieve a smooth surface, so the paint build up is not desirable for adding further coats, and it also makes it more prone to reactions with different paint layers.

My advice would be to take it to a well respected body/paint shop, they will be able to tell you whether it needs removing.

I think that it's going to be hard to find somebody that has painted with candy out there. A friend of mine told me to get something in writing from the bodyshop stating that if they make a mess of it they will put it right.

Whatever you do, i'd like to see the outcome :D

Yes, I will ask them to document it... hopefully they will make an effort to take plenty of photos..!

I think that it's going to be hard to find somebody that has painted with candy out there. A friend of mine told me to get something in writing from the bodyshop stating that if they make a mess of it they will put it right.

candy aint hard to paint but its not cheap thats the only problem. why get something in writing? if you choose a bad garage its your fault mate. we wont let a car leave the workshop till its 100% but i think thats normal aint it?

you dont have to take it back to bare metal mate, but you need to use the correct candy for a gold base. usually candy red goes on a white base i have painted it a few times now.

GpZPgry887k

Below the quote from the vid on youtube.

Ahh and btw:

The Shape we see at first in the Videos is sprayed with the Brilliant Silver A020 by Mipa as Basecoat, in the Middle we have HoK's Zenith Gold (a very reflecting Silver-Gold i would describe it as) and on the right the "Solar Gold" by House of Kolor which has the lowest reflecting ability of the 3 tested basecoats.

Yes, I will ask them to document it... hopefully they will make an effort to take plenty of photos..!

I think its unlikely that any body-shop/painter will agree to sign anything like that, for the reasons i mentioned before.

mitchell9006, i have seen candy orange and red painted over both silver and gold base coats, but it does change the colour considerably, usually darkens it all down depending on the number of coats, looks pretty good though.

GpZPgry887k

Below the quote from the vid on youtube.

Ahh and btw:

The Shape we see at first in the Videos is sprayed with the Brilliant Silver A020 by Mipa as Basecoat, in the Middle we have HoK's Zenith Gold (a very reflecting Silver-Gold i would describe it as) and on the right the "Solar Gold" by House of Kolor which has the lowest reflecting ability of the 3 tested basecoats.

yeah HOK mate!! your pay ridiculous money just for the 3 stages.

every candy is different, some blues go onto black, oranges go on silvers and whites ect, and red's can go onto white's and silvers ect.

only helping you out

I think its unlikely that any body-shop/painter will agree to sign anything like that, for the reasons i mentioned before.

mitchell9006, i have seen candy orange and red painted over both silver and gold base coats, but it does change the colour considerably, usually darkens it all down depending on the number of coats, looks pretty good though.

the idea of using a silver/ white base is to show the candy (candy is very very transparent) takes many many coats to cover and yes deepen to desired colour.

silver base/gold base is used to give an extra deph in the colour and would look amazing in the sun and at different angles.

mate rx7 we painted in candy red

[ATTACH]123394[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]123395[/ATTACH]

I've seen that rx7 from googling it... i like it but having the gold base gives it stunning orange like reflection on the curves. I want a wow factor of say a lambo orange but without being too loud.

yeah HOK mate!! your pay ridiculous money just for the 3 stages.

every candy is different, some blues go onto black, oranges go on silvers and whites ect, and red's can go onto white's and silvers ect.

only helping you out

Thanks for your help, I only put it up to get your opinion...! I know nothing about painting I am trying to study it as much as possible so I can express to the bodyshop how i want it to look like and seem like I know what I am talking about... hahah

the idea of using a silver/ white base is to show the candy (candy is very very transparent) takes many many coats to cover and yes deepen to desired colour.

silver base/gold base is used to give an extra deph in the colour and would look amazing in the sun and at different angles.

I thought thats what i said:) i paint myself, so i know what works and what doesn't;)

Thanks for your help, I only put it up to get your opinion...! I know nothing about painting I am trying to study it as much as possible so I can express to the bodyshop how i want it to look like and seem like I know what I am talking about... hahah

if you not compfortable with a garage dont go there mate, do some research. yeah i know mate im trying to help you out too. look at cars which have been painted in candys and not test pieces like that youtube vid or motorcycles as they tend to be small areas which look good but nothing like that on a car. if that makes sense. lol

I dont want any flake at all...! I will have to make sure that the bodyshop take as many layers as they need to get rid of the metal flake...! good point..!

In that case then have them use a solid colour base coat as mitchell9006 was saying, i just presumed that you liked it as you mentioned that you already had a flake in your paint, sorry!

In that case then have them use a solid colour base coat as mitchell9006 was saying, i just presumed that you liked it as you mentioned that you already had a flake in your paint, sorry!

I bought the car like that but because it's black it only really shimmers when a bright sun light shines on it and it's ok.

Here's my old 200sx in hok Candy Pagan Gold with a silver base. Looked amazing in the sun. But close up you could see quite a few errors like different shades on the roof and aparently had too many layers of laquer on it as I had a few repairs done and he had a hard time matching it?? I think it would be in your interest to find a garage that has experience in spraying HOK paints like mitchell was saying.

image image image