The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Caliper Pins Sticking

SPG

True, stainless seemed like the right choice back then but I never got round to making any so opted for greasing the oem ones on a regualr basis.

I can't believe I didn't think of it. When I was refurbing my calipers they were a right PITA to get out. I just rubbed them down, painted them and put them back in. Hopefully the paint will help but stainless would have been ideal lol.

Doh.

I ended up having to get my Dremmel out and cutting out a section in the middle of the pin so I could push both ends out seperately :(

I was ashamed to mention what I did to be honest, but since I have had a few beers I will now admit to it.

I set a pair of mole grips to a silly pressure on the pins and then hammered on the mole grips to get the feckers out.

A good rub down of the pins and a nice burr out of the holes and they slid in with ease. A GB on these pins would be a FANTASTIC idea. I only wish I still worked in the M/C shop so that I could get these up and running. I could have done them for a great price :(

Oh, aluminium flash spray for the win on re-coating the pins BTW. Not sure how easy the stuff is to get a hold of in normal circumstances though. Should save them corroding for many a moon.

2) SPG-26

Tried giving it a little heat and its still not budging so I might need to revert to Scott's mole grip technique [GRIN][/GRIN]

Just be careful you don't bend the pins much, as they will be a complete arse to remove :(

Dunk, copperslip is great, but when if the previous owner hasn't used it when you do your first brake change... :) As you said, for the price of the pins, it's definately worth buying a spare set.

Dunk, copperslip is great, but when if the previous owner hasn't used it when you do your first brake change... :) As you said, for the price of the pins, it's definately worth buying a spare set.

Try tapping them the wrong way first on the domed end, this can sometimes shock the pin free, if you tap the other end and their well and truelly seized you can end up mushrooming the end of the pin and close up the secureing hole

Too many previous owners seem to overlook the basics

Best way to get them out is use the mole grip method then replace with new pins if you damage them, then lightly smear with c/s before fitting :)

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)