The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Wheel arch cut or roll?

Shane

My new tyres (295) are just catching the arches when I accelerate or corner hard as I suspected they might. Been doing a bit of searching and cant decide whether to roll or trim. David2009 has trimmed his just inward of the spot welds with a cutting disc confirms its an easy job. I have been looking at rolling on the web and it looks an easy tidy alternative. Interested to hear what experience others have had with each method.

Cheers, Shane

What's your wheel width and offset Shane?

There's only so much you can chop before you get to the welds and if that isn't enough then rolling can be a bit more tricky as you've removed some of the material already......would be handy to know how much room you need.

Also, are you able to measure the actaul width of the tyre in two places for me please? I believe you have the 295/35/18 Sessantas and I'd be interested to know if they are a big tyre or a narrow tyre (Eagle F1's seem to be wide for their stated size and R888 seem to be a little narrower)

1) Across the tread on the outside of the tyre and 2) Across with widest point of the tyre, wherever that may be (depends on your wheel width)

What's your wheel width and offset Shane?

There's only so much you can chop before you get to the welds and if that isn't enough then rolling can be a bit more tricky as you've removed some of the material already......would be handy to know how much room you need.

Also, are you able to measure the actaul width of the tyre in two places for me please? I believe you have the 295/35/18 Sessantas and I'd be interested to know if they are a big tyre or a narrow tyre (Eagle F1's seem to be wide for their stated size and R888 seem to be a little narrower)

1) Across the tread on the outside of the tyre and 2) Across with widest point of the tyre, wherever that may be (depends on your wheel width)

Hi Dan, yes they are the Vredstiens from David, have 10 or 10.5J Axe rims with a 40 offset I think, will confirm this and also will take those dims for you later on. They only appear to be rubbing slightly, I reckon a reduction of 4mm tops will clear. Yes and I agree with you re the rolling at a later date if shaving a bit off doesnt clear, and was the main reason I was still deciding what to do. David did say he would give a hand if I wanted so may give him a shout and get his opinion on it too, as he has already been through this excercise.