The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Exhaust Manifold Options??

bobbywarne1983

Good Afternoon

Im after some knowledge for an aftermarket exhaust manifold, i had my car on the rolling road last weekend (3.0 n.a) and i got 218.3bhp and 197 lbs of torque, now i want to try and build on this, i currently to my knowledge from the previous owner have an RSR cat back exhaust, and an enterprise induction kit.

So my question is what would sort of manifolds are out there atm and what ones do people currently have on the n/a's, what can you recommend????

Heres a video i made up of the rolling road day im about 8 mins in a think....

A well designed after market one is hard to find unless getting a custom jobby but dont get yourself into the frame of mind it will add loads of power as you may well be disappointed.

Alternatively just wait for paul whiffin at whifbitz to release his but it wont be cheap.

Couple of pics of the tubular manifold I use to make (not being made at the moment), it increased power by around 8-12hp and made the car feel more responsive.

Note fitting a tubular manifold will also increase the noise level, if you've no cats fitted, have a loud exhaust and fit a tubular manifold it will be ear bleedingly loud.

http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/8473/p1030161sa4.jpg http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/1831/p1030162uk1.jpg[/u

I've got a few threads on here about the recent additions to my NA. I had fitted a custom induction arm with filter cone, custom manifold with double decat and custom exhaust (silencer fitted before the backbox to control the sound).

Had it on the RR last weekend and it's running at 245bhp. It was a cold run so I'm inclined to believe it would probably be around 250 warmed up. I need to add a cold air enclosure as the manifold runs really hot and that should improve things. One or 2 on here swear the enclosure can add 5-10bhp. That's pretty much it in terms of major changes you can make. Every other upgrade you add will only increase by a few bhp each time and will cost you a fortune. A remap may help (that's my plan sometime in the winter) but I have no real examples to draw on.

From there you're looking at a NA-T/TT switch if you want more power.

Id love to know how your gonna do a remap, especially on a stock ecu. Only other way is a mines ecu, which are rarer than rocking horse shit or a full out standalone

Now remember when we discussed how accurate motorscopes dyno was, why not take a look at the multimedia section and see what a slightly modded NA put down power wise ;)

Id love to know how your gonna do a remap, especially on a stock ecu. Only other way is a mines ecu, which are rarer than rocking horse $#@! or a full out standalone

Now remember when we discussed how accurate motorscopes dyno was, why not take a look at the multimedia section and see what a slightly modded NA put down power wise ;)

I had a chat to Ryan about this recently and there are a few piggybacks you can use. I've also heard of a stock ecu hack which allows you to map it.

You're determined to burst my bubble. I told you before, ignorance is bliss :)

Had it on the RR last weekend and it's running at 245bhp. It was a cold run so I'm inclined to believe it would probably be around 250 warmed up. I need to add a cold air enclosure as the manifold runs really hot and that should improve things. One or 2 on here swear the enclosure can add 5-10bhp.

It was dynoed from cold!

Dyno runs are nearly always done with the bonnet open and a huge bloody fan blowing air at the front of the car, so your induction kit will have been sucking in lung fulls of nice cold air, so yes on a dyno it may give you a slight increase in power. In contrast whilst driving the induction kit will be sucking in the hot air from under the bonnet.

Personally I don't see the point in fitting an enclosed induction kit. I don't believe under normal driving conditions - not on a dyno - it makes any increase in hp. The stock airbox is sealed from the engine bay heat, has 2 cold air feeds, is not restrictive (an almost identical airbox is used on the TT) and has a greater filtration area than the cone filters used in most induction kits.

Edited by Nic (see edit history)

:yeahthat:

You're determined to burst my bubble. I told you before, ignorance is bliss :)

Im not im just trying to motivate you to go to a more reputable dyno and repeat the numbers as i find it suspect that 2 NA's are making 245+ on the same dyno with just basic exhaust mods. ;)

:yeahthat:

Im not im just trying to motivate you to go to a more reputable dyno and repeat the numbers as i find it suspect that 2 NA's are making 245+ on the same dyno with just basic exhaust mods. ;)

I know mate, I'm just messing.

Interestingly though, I had a straight drag today with an Audi A4 3.0l TDi cabriolet and left him for dead. That's a factory 229bhp so I'm still pretty convinced I'm up there.

Martin fitted my mani today and i must say the difference is quite noticeable, it picks up better from low down, there is no flat spot that i used to have and it pulls like anything higher up the rev range, a very very good investment IMO if you want a small gain and dont want to go turbo.

Not sure on the increase of power, there is definateley something there, not sure i would be making big numbers for the NA like some have but it does improve things.

Cant wait for Mr Whiffin to get his done :)

Martin fitted my mani today and i must say the difference is quite noticeable, it picks up better from low down, there is no flat spot that i used to have and it pulls like anything higher up the rev range, a very very good investment IMO if you want a small gain and dont want to go turbo.

Not sure on the increase of power, there is definateley something there, not sure i would be making big numbers for the NA like some have but it does improve things.

Cant wait for Mr Whiffin to get his done :)

Good stuff neil. Are you coming up to the tunnel run? We can measure manifolds :D

Ok, you win Nic. Only your manifold gives a performance boost. Everyone else's is for show.

I'm not saying that at all (I've no reason to as I no longer make/sell the manifold). I did do a back to back dyno test with my manifold and it made an increase of 8hp, although the car was down on power to start with so the test was a bit inconclusive. I reckon a tubular manifold should make between an 8-10hp increase. A performance exhaust and 2nd decat may make a similar increase.

What I was saying is if you are comparing your car with another car of a certain hp, the weight of each car is a factor. If you went up against a stock NA then that would give you a better idea of how much extra power you have.

What I was saying is if you are comparing your car with another car of a certain hp, the weight of each car is a factor. If you went up against a stock NA then that would give you a better idea of how much extra power you have.

I agree and I'll try and do that at some point.