The mkiv Supra Owners Club

clutch recomendations needed!

Crouch

you will have to bear with me as i explain my life story on this one so here goes!....i have purchased a toyota supra at the end of summer and have been enjoying getting back to a turbo car more than expected! This has lead to some issues as if you abuse something often enough then something will give and sure enough it has,This brings me to the purpose of the thread,

my car is a 93 rz twin tubby converted by the last owner to a single and in current form has i think about 550hp on low boost and 612hp on high. the problem is that the clutch has decided that high boost is not an option and even on low it isn't very keen. When i bought the car i was given a bundle of reciepts to go with it... actualy almost all of them since import in december 05! the reciepts that i have show that the car was fitted with an o.s giken ts3b clutch!...fine i priced a rebuild kit for this clutch but its not cheap so i thought to check it is what it said it is to find a big ass HKS sign and no part number! all i know is it is a triple and it is a wierd setup but as i can't identify the clutch i was wondering if there are any good options for a total replacement?? i'm hopping to get the car up to about 800hp in the near futer so its fine to over shoot the power it has right now. The car will be used on the road and all the clutch's that even state the power rating and not the clamping force also say "not for road use" as in to harsh to use without leaving big black lines where you just came from! does any body have any suggestions as to what i can get??

thanks for the advice and i have looked at the site and am impressed by the clutch but!!..and i know this is going to seem stupid to say but i think over 2 grand british for a clutch is a bit steep. if i have no other recomendations then i'll just have to bite the bullet and go for it. i only say this as i'm really after a hypertune plenum before christmas not to mention two new tyres and my tien rear coilovers rebuilt, this does'nt leave much in the current bank roll to pay the labour costs of the full polly bush upgrade thats in discusion at the moment! suppose never thought this would be cheap so we'll see!! :rolleyes:

anybody else got some idea's??

I have a southbend single plate rated for 600 lbs/ft they have other ones rated for higher bhp..! it's bang on only 20% heavier, drives like stock..! I also did not have to play around and get new slave master like some ppl have to..! fitted straight on have had it for 4 months...!

My fly wheels looked ok, so we just sanded and put it back..!

all in posted tax paid for 600ish euros..!

The cheapest option by far would be to rebuild the clutch you already have, nice clutches. If not you'll need to dig deep and get yourself a Carbonetic twin plate which I think are the best clutches available. Not cheap but very very good. Thats if your going for 800bhp, if your sticking to 700bhp a single plate clutch will do the job.

well i know that 2k isn't exactly expensive and clutches can go way over this for something to take the power and do more that 1000miles before rebuild but kinda thought that i could sort something out for about 1600 quid! i know that you can't ask the power and then go "but for a few quid!" and get the halfords spanners out. lol! it's just like most people not having my car working even though i can't use it right now is not a nice thought, the plan was to get most of the work i want carried out by next summer and theres a lot to be done by then, going from 600-800 hp is a huge jump and isn't a weekend thing!

My mate said he looked around and thinks its a HKS gd pro triple! are they good will it cope with obscene power and last if it is and i rebuild it??

well i know that 2k isn't exactly expensive and clutches can go way over this for something to take the power and do more that 1000miles before rebuild but kinda thought that i could sort something out for about 1600 quid! i know that you can't ask the power and then go "but for a few quid!" and get the halfords spanners out. lol! it's just like most people not having my car working even though i can't use it right now is not a nice thought, the plan was to get most of the work i want carried out by next summer and theres a lot to be done by then, going from 600-800 hp is a huge jump and isn't a weekend thing!

My mate said he looked around and thinks its a HKS gd pro triple! are they good will it cope with obscene power and last if it is and i rebuild it??

From our experience the HKS clutches dont last very long, the plates wear out very fast. Depends how you use it though, if you drive in traffic alot constantly using the clutch it wont last very long.

my previous RPS clutch lasted 48K miles and 30K of that was pushing 560bhp and over 500lbs of torque. 90% of my driving is london city based.

I currently run a southbend stage 3 clutch - it drives like stock and is supposed to be really good however I was extremely disappointed that I needed a new slave cylinder with a bit more travel to release the clutch. also their support was a bit mediocre.

early days in regards to this clutch so will post a detailed review once I have had it on the car for 2 months.

If I were to do it again - id just take my car to Paul or Lee and get them to recommend and clutch and sort it out.

imi

From our experience the HKS clutches dont last very long, the plates wear out very fast. Depends how you use it though, if you drive in traffic alot constantly using the clutch it wont last very long.

damn looks as though its 2631 euro on a carbonetic plus postage from ireland as thats the closest place that deals them apparently!! that sucks sausage coz i have to fix whats not workin first then get the power up'd! that means the hole power upgrade needs nockin back to allow funds to build! there are some parts that need investigating before i wind her up to! things like turbo capability,valve springs, head check if flowing required,crank condition (think its ballanced but it's standard as far as i know) so much to be done and i'm not making lots of cash so lots of time spent in the hotel being bored to save as much as posible for the project. still will be worth it when i take the first drive of the new spec and plant the boot!!!

well i've been checkin with some tuners to find the clutch that i'm after and as the carbonetic site doesn't list any dealers in britian it was down to ordering one from ireland!, whilst i was bored yesterday i came across a site that sells them for alot less than the irish company! :D

Now this brings me to my point the site is yours Mr Whiffin! you never said YOU could get the twin plate that i need for some 600quid less than the other site you cheaky monkey! ;)

Can you still get these for the price stated on your site or is it a tease?

well i've been checkin with some tuners to find the clutch that i'm after and as the carbonetic site doesn't list any dealers in britian it was down to ordering one from ireland!, whilst i was bored yesterday i came across a site that sells them for alot less than the irish company! :D

Now this brings me to my point the site is yours Mr Whiffin! you never said YOU could get the twin plate that i need for some 600quid less than the other site you cheaky monkey! ;)

Can you still get these for the price stated on your site or is it a tease?

I've just updated the website with the latest prices, they were a little bit out, click here

Any questions just ask.

I've just updated the website with the latest prices, they were a little bit out,

Any questions just ask.

Tease!!! :p

All i can say is it's still 400quid savin so even after postage it's a bargain. Which just leaves me to say "sold to the man in the back with the supra that hardly moves!" he-he!

I'll go through your site on friday when i finish work and make appropriate actions. i hope your ok with posting it to scotland! of course these costs will be mine if you approve.

Tease!!! :p

All i can say is it's still 400quid savin so even after postage it's a bargain. Which just leaves me to say "sold to the man in the back with the supra that hardly moves!" he-he!

I'll go through your site on friday when i finish work and make appropriate actions. i hope your ok with posting it to scotland! of course these costs will be mine if you approve.

I can give you a bit of discount off if you pay by bank transfer?

very kind of you Mr Whiffin and i'd be happy to pay by these means if it's your preference and of course money saved is money for the rest of the project! would you like me to call the shop to arrange the details or would you like me to pm/e-mail you to make arrangements? :)

i also would like your thoughts on if i should go for one of your cylinder heads to get to my goal! was thinkin stroker maybe as i think i have hks pistons and con rods at the moment, hypertune plenum with one of your heads as think mine is stock apart from hks 272 cams and pulleys, also believe it has arp bolts top and bottom but not sure if my current spec is man enough for the part. i'd rather start from scratch to be sure! this clutch thing got me concerned about wether the reciepts i have actualy match whats in the car!:(

very kind of you Mr Whiffin and i'd be happy to pay by these means if it's your preference and of course money saved is money for the rest of the project! would you like me to call the shop to arrange the details or would you like me to pm/e-mail you to make arrangements? :)

i also would like your thoughts on if i should go for one of your cylinder heads to get to my goal! was thinkin stroker maybe as i think i have hks pistons and con rods at the moment, hypertune plenum with one of your heads as think mine is stock apart from hks 272 cams and pulleys, also believe it has arp bolts top and bottom but not sure if my current spec is man enough for the part. i'd rather start from scratch to be sure! this clutch thing got me concerned about wether the reciepts i have actualy match whats in the car!:(

I'll PM you now.