The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Split rim Sealant ?

scooby_doo_do

Right, im fed up now.... After re-sealing my split rims for the 2nd time in 2 weeks only to get 2 wheels fixed...

I've basically taken the tyre off and then cut out the old sealant with a stanley and then filled the gap with clear sealent. - Got told this by a refurb place that its the best thing to do...

So....

Any ideas what i can use to seal them with other than normal sealant.... I haven't driven the car since i got back from le mans as the tyres go flat and the cigerrette lighter's broken so i can't even pump the things up ! - I hate my car - its really starting to tick me off !

Try giving someone like Loctite a call. They have a fairly good Technical Sales department. I would imagine they will suggest an RTV type sealant (similar to the silicone stuff you put around your bath) as it has better gap filling properties and more flexibility once cured than an anaerobic adhesive.

They may be able to suggest a surface preparation solution or treatment as well. If you tell them the application I'm sure they will know what to use off the tops of their heads.

Loctite UK: 01707 358875

HTH

Problem is with this one, is i need the car for Sunday morning... And i'm out tonight picking up the missis new V5 Golf. So I was thinking about getting up early tommorrow and getting the tyres taken off and then re-sealing them and putting the tyres back on again about 5pm... I could do all this and then maybe pump the tyres up with Air on the Sun morning...

Anyway,,

Thanks again chaps... With any luck the car will start after being off the road for 3 weeks.

Craig.

Absolute nightmare mate I had the same thing with my Veilside split rims.

Could not ever get them to seal even though I had them refurbed.

I had to pump them up 4 times a day and would be dangerous to drive when one wheel was always less pressure than the rest.

In the end I got rid of em for some one pieces and vowed never to get split rims again!

Luckily JIC supplied me the car took them back and swapped them for some AVS cheaper but functional wheels.

Good luck :(

I've just had mine refurbished and thats what done it...

I keep thinking of trading mine in and getting some 1 piece alloys, but i like the way they look on the car in line with the back arches...

Oh well...

I'm just going to fill each wheel up with about 30 bottles of sealent and some green slime... That'll do the trick..