The mkiv Supra Owners Club

19x9 Front Wheels with 255/35/19 Tyres

dandan

I think I am getting close to finding a wheel and tyre combo I am going to purchase and at the moment it looks like an 18x11 rear and 19x9 front is about my best option....so far. Without going with something custom made I'm struggling to find anything half decent with a wide rear wheel in useable offsets so ths mixed 18" and 19" combo is a bit of a compromise I am looking into. Nothing is final yet though and I'm still looking around :)

Rear tyres will be either 315/30/18 R888 or 305/30/18 Kumho V70a for summer use or possibly a normal 295/35/18 street tyre that can stay on for occasional use in the winter when the roads are dry and free from salt. This will be on an 18x11 rim and the offset will be 45mm meaning I need a bit of arch rolling at the back for the 315 to fit.

For the front I am thinking about a 19x9 wheel and I'm trying to figure out what sort of offset and tyre shape will be best. I am not looking to have the wheels sticking way outside the wing, nor do I want to stretch a 235 over it looking like a long lost drifter :D

I'm thinking that a 255/35/19 would be ok on the 9" rim with a 45mm offset. I have pretty soft CW based suspension and the car is a little bit lower than standard.

Is anyone running anything similar up front without any arch rubbing issues?

Cheers

Dan

Dan mate, I have a 275/35/19 wheel upfront with a +12 offset and a 19x9J wheel. This works well for me and I still have a few mm's to clear the arches. My arches are bespoke with a steeper inner arch lining than normal OEM fit, plus, they are 33mm either side wider.

However, this said; based on your tyre dispalcement being 10mm either side less than mine and your offset being 33mm greater in terms of +ve offset, I would say that the 255/35/19 option will be OK with a few mm's to spare.

EDIT: How much lower is you car over stock? Just read your last insert regarding 'lowering' so we would need to confirm your drop height first.

Edited by SupraAyf (see edit history)

Thanks for the input mate, nice one :thumbs: That certainly sounds like an aggressive offset you've got up front!

I'm looking at lots of options at the mo and the latest one I am trying to figure out is putting my 9.5x18's up front with their 30mm offset and a 255/35/18 tyre. It looks close but I think that it will clear ok....that frees up the rear for the wide ones! I'm just trying to convince myself the 30 offset up front will work out and then I'll bite the bullet and go buy some 255 tyres.

Car is not much lower than stock at all, maybe 10mm I suppose.

OK I have two more options to ask people about?

Anyone got 255/35/18 with a 9.5x18 ET30 up front? (Jamie's is the closest I have seen with something like at ET23 which makes me think mine will be ok)

Anyone got 315/35/17 with either 11.5x17 ET55 or ET57 at the rear? I think both will be ok with the arch clearance being a little better than my 275/35/18 ET30 but I'll be getting close to the spring on the inside.

I didnt think you could have a larger diameter wheel on the front than on the rear?

Maybe its rolling radius though and not alloy size, in which case (and i havent worked it out), you may be OK if the wider wheels at the rear and the % difference from the aspect ratio contribute to a larger rolling radius.

Dan my front set up is:

18x9.5 et25. 245/40 tyre (small stretch). This clears fine with a few mm to spare - no rubbing amd no inner archwork done. If u look down the side of the car u can see the tyre but its not sticking out loads, plus as the suspension goes up over bumps it pulls the wheels in so clears with ease. :)

On the back ive got 18x11 et24 with a 295/30 R888. These do stick out very slightly but again no rubbing as ive left the suspension quite high. My inner arch is rolled Right back. When i lower the coilovers and put my new 315/30 tyres on i think i will need to blend in the new JDL rear arches next year.

I didnt think you could have a larger diameter wheel on the front than on the rear?

Maybe its rolling radius though and not alloy size, in which case (and i havent worked it out), you may be OK if the wider wheels at the rear and the % difference from the aspect ratio contribute to a larger rolling radius.

That is a good point - I had looked at the fronts and rears individually and satisfied myself that the rolling radius is within limits of what people normally run on their Supras. However, I know that this combo is a little different and the rear rolling radius is bigger than the front which is the opposite to stock. I'm wondering if this may upset the ABS at all if you go past a certain allowable % of difference? :search: I don't think so though as Jamie has run some huge rear rolling radius setups and I'm sure he'd have mentioned it. I'll run a few comparsions and post back shortly.

CCW in the US and some of the US road course guys run 17" on the rear and 18" up front, enables you to keep a decent side wall at the back while fitting larger brakes up front.

Exactly what I am after and for the same reasons.

275 on a 9" rim is a bit over tyred to be honest, should be more like 245, 255 or 265 max

That wouldn't be my choice either as I like a little more stability in the tyre but some tyres are very narrow for their stated size and people get away with a little plumpness. :) For example, I believe the R888 is very narrow compared to an Eagle F1 even though the sizes are the same.

Dan my front set up is:

18x9.5 et25. 245/40 tyre (small stretch). This clears fine with a few mm to spare - no rubbing amd no inner archwork done. If u look down the side of the car u can see the tyre but its not sticking out loads, plus as the suspension goes up over bumps it pulls the wheels in so clears with ease. :)

On the back ive got 18x11 et24 with a 295/30 R888. These do stick out very slightly but again no rubbing as ive left the suspension quite high. My inner arch is rolled Right back. When i lower the coilovers and put my new 315/30 tyres on i think i will need to blend in the new JDL rear arches next year.

Thanks James, I'll bang your numbers into a few offset calculators to see how they compare. That 245 up front and a 9.5" will be helping your clearance massively though which is something I wouldn't have with the 255 although the 30 offset I'd have may make up for it. How do you roll inner rear arches and why do you need to with those offsets - surely the outer arch is the one that's gonna rub on your rears?

Edited by dandan (see edit history)

I just changed my front tyres from a 225/40 to a 245/40 as it was waaay too stretched and the 245 now looks huge, but still clears as its a slight stretch.

My rears were rolled from my previous alloys mate, which were 18x9.5 et22 with a 275 tyre. Yeah now the inner rear arch has bugger all to do with it :D

Its very easy to roll the inner lip though mate and only costs about £80-£100. http://www.archenemy.co.uk ;)

I just changed my front tyres from a 225/40 to a 245/40 as it was waaay too stretched and the 245 now looks huge, but still clears as its a slight stretch.

My rears were rolled from my previous alloys mate, which were 18x9.5 et22 with a 275 tyre. Yeah now the inner rear arch has bugger all to do with it :D

Its very easy to roll the inner lip though mate and only costs about £80-£100. http://www.archenemy.co.uk ;)

Right gotcha mate. When you said inner I was thinking you meant the inner bit of the body shell by the spring and damper. All makes sense now, thanks.