The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Never repeated in the UK?

Tee from China

After Infernos massive rebuild and the blue US one a few months back and before that the Swedes amazing Quicksilver TRD, I wondered if someone in the UK would be the next.

Seeing the bare blue manual shell that Mr. Whiffin has for sale gave me that notion but after checking the government website :- http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/BuyingAndSellingAVehicle/RegisteringAVehicle/DG_4022486 and here http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/BuyingAndSellingAVehicle/RegisteringAVehicle/DG_10014199 it seems rebuilding a Supra using new OEM and uprated parts to max levels would make it liable for a Q plate due to the points value - which would not sit well with me if I had laid out 50-60k+ on building my dream car.

So I think that certainly Inferno's car will never be repeated or surpassed by anyone (in the UK at least), which is a shame.

Does make me wonder about others who have replaced large lumps of their cars such as the engine with a built one, transmission i.e.auto to manual and suspension with new arms,struts etc.

Having said that probably as they have been done over a period of time would be less noticeable that all at once.

Food for thought anyone?

How would anyone know if you used new OEM parts.

I don't think it matters unless you're starting off with a car that isn't registered. When I put mine together, it had to meet a number of requirements in order to get it's original plate back. Had its inspection at VOA on their ramps and hey presto. As you can see, I've done a lot to my car too.

it seems rebuilding a Supra using new OEM and uprated parts to max levels would make it liable for a Q plate due to the points value - which would not sit well with me if I had laid out 50-60k+ on building my dream car.

Is the Q plate the only issue? Just get a ****** plate for it, job done :)

Edited by rob wild
Swearing removed (see edit history)

I am sure back in the days, Q plates cars were ones which had been in an accident and then put back together again. I remember seeing them before (Like a Purple Porsche 911 which was near where I live) but not in the last 10 or so years I haven't see any Q plated cars.

Anyway the UK is still in a recession so the answer is no! :)

I am sure back in the days, Q plates cars were ones which had been in an accident and then put back together again. I remember seeing them before (Like a Purple Porsche 911 which was near where I live) but not in the last 10 or so years I haven't see any Q plated cars.

Anyway the UK is still in a recession so the answer is no! :)

Q plate were and are issued to any vehicle where the age cannot be determined such as kit cars and accident damaged and also to imports that could not be clearly age rated

How would anyone know if you used new OEM parts.

I don't think it matters unless you're starting off with a car that isn't registered. When I put mine together, it had to meet a number of requirements in order to get it's original plate back. Had its inspection at VOA on their ramps and hey presto. As you can see, I've done a lot to my car too.

That shell that Paul is selling has had its registration number removed by him so that's where the problems could start as he will have had to say why he has transferred the number. All the bits and bobs would be shiny new and very obvious - even to an idiot. With your car all the work had been done on your old one before being re-shelled so I think your situation was different from a fresh ground up project

I would see if there any new shells in Japan. Jurgen found me a brand new Skyline R33 GTR shell last year, and I am building it up with enough new parts to register as a new car, should I wish. I am not registering it at all, so it's academic, but a new shell would be a nice starting point for an "ultimate" UK Supra build.

If someone had a big enough wallet to do this, couldn't an entirely new chassis be moulded / fabricated from an old one? I'm thinking custom spaceframe with carbon skin...I've probably been watching too much of that American Hot Rod program, but it sounds do-able.

Imo if you was spending 50-60k on a build, 2k for a manual na wouldnt break the bank, it wont be q plated if you kept recipets for the parts used as q plates go on cars with unknown sourced parts...

I'd start with a very late 6 speed N/A and at least get the 02 plate, if possible.

That shell that Paul is selling has had its registration number removed by him so that's where the problems could start as he will have had to say why he has transferred the number. All the bits and bobs would be shiny new and very obvious - even to an idiot. With your car all the work had been done on your old one before being re-shelled so I think your situation was different from a fresh ground up project

I'm not sure what you mean about reg removed. If you know what the reg was, you can apply for a new V5 and done. I also don't know why new OEM parts is a problem - the spec of the car is not changed. The issue is a car being unidentifiable, not being the same but with new parts – surely?

My car wasn’t a re-shell in the end, it was a ground up build of an R reg Aerotop that utilised some parts from my old supra – mainly interior. The crash destroyed more than was originally expected. The old car was a P reg GZ hardtop, the new one is an R reg aero.

I'd start with a very late 6 speed N/A and at least get the 02 plate, if possible.

If I was to do a ground up with a £60k budget, I wouldn't :D I couldn't do with all the hassle again, I'd spend that £60k on a new GTR with change for a daily driver. But if I already had a GTR and a daily, I'd defo start with an 02 plate :cool: with the lowest mileage I could find. I wouldn't bother replacing perfectly good parts with new ones just because though - a total waste of money and only something you'd consider if you were a millionaire where £60k to a £100k is pocket change.

One thing I would do like Inferno, would be to keep the car Auto - :cool:

Edited by Matt H (see edit history)

Q plate were and are issued to any vehicle where the age cannot be determined such as kit cars and accident damaged and also to imports that could not be clearly age rated

If the shell is registered then the age of the car is clearly known.

The only reason it applies to kit cars is that they have to be registered once built. Same goes with accident damaged, they need to be re-registered as the original place is null and void.

Imo if you was spending 50-60k on a build, 2k for a manual na wouldnt break the bank, it wont be q plated if you kept recipets for the parts used as q plates go on cars with unknown sourced parts...

True but if a complete car was going to be used surely a TT @ 5-6k would be a better starting place than a NA? And since 2008 if you read those regulations that if replacing too many new parts (even if you can prove the source) then it is deemed as no longer being the original you started with - which was my point regarding using that bare shell Paul is selling as unless s/h parts are used and declared as the 'original' items you could fall foul and get a 'Q' plate issued and once that happens your stuck with it and after 50-60k spent is it worth the risk?

If the shell is registered then the age of the car is clearly known.

The only reason it applies to kit cars is that they have to be registered once built. Same goes with accident damaged, they need to be re-registered as the original place is null and void.

If the original registration has been removed and used on another vehicle (as Paul has done) is it still registered? Age is not the question here as that regulation states that if too many parts are changed then it becomes a case of indeterminable age even if you can prove where all the bits come from - so who anyone risk spending upwards of 50k and then find out come registration that a Q plate is going to be issued,which cannot be removed?

Just to be clear here, these are the points from the two links that I read as problem areas. Am I reading them correctly to come to the conclusions I have?

If you are rebuilding or radically altering a vehicle, or building a vehicle from a kit, it'll need to meet certain criteria before the vehicle is registered. The Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) local office will assign the original or an appropriate registration mark on the evidence provided.

Vehicle identity: Sometimes, however, a vehicle needs to be rebuilt and this can call the identity of the vehicle into question. Is it the original that has simply been repaired, or have so many new or different parts been used in the rebuilding process that the original vehicle has been effectively broken up?

In allocating a registration mark to a rebuilt vehicle, the Agency's main interest is to establish whether or not the vehicle is newly constructed with no previously registered identity (in the present form). Vehicles that have been substantially rebuilt need to be examined by one of the DVLA local offices.

The registration of radically altered vehicles covers vehicles which are substantially altered from their original specification, but which are not kit conversions. In these cases the vehicle components used from the original vehicle will be given a numerical value in order to retain the original registration mark.

Allocating a vehicle registration mark

The vehicle must score eight or more points to retain the original registration mark. If less than eight points are scored or a second-hand or modified chassis or altered monocoque bodyshell is used an Individual Vehicle Approval (IVA), enhanced single vehicle approval (ESVA), single vehicle approval (SVA) or motorcycle single vehicle approval (MSVA) certificate will be required to register the vehicle. A 'Q' prefix registration number will be allocated.

Scoring components

The following values will be allocated to the major components used:

• chassis or body shell (body and chassis as one unit - monocoque ie direct replacement from the manufacturer) (original or new) = 5 points

• suspension = 2 points

• axles = 2 points

• transmission = 2 points

• steering assembly = 2 points

• engine = 1 point

I'm not sure what you mean about reg removed. If you know what the reg was, you can apply for a new V5 and done. I also don't know why new OEM parts is a problem - the spec of the car is not changed. The issue is a car being unidentifiable, not being the same but with new parts – surely?

My car wasn’t a re-shell in the end, it was a ground up build of an R reg Aerotop that utilised some parts from my old supra – mainly interior. The crash destroyed more than was originally expected. The old car was a P reg GZ hardtop, the new one is an R reg aero.

If a ground up like Inferno's then the spec will be vastly changed would it not as only the shell would be original?