The mkiv Supra Owners Club

I may have done something dumb....

Ark

So the Supra sits at home most days, now I don't use it for commuting. The last few days it has been really misty inside the windows, and I mean REALLY misty, so I figured it needed a drive to get it warm and de-humidified, but it's struggling to demist, and now I find fluid in the nearside footwell...cue "heater matrix" comments.

However, having struggled with flat batteries before I got one of those solar panels for topping up the charge. Panel was on the dash, cable was run out through the door seal and on to the battery, everything was hunkydory. Given that the doors are double-sealed, how likely is it that rainwater has been running down the solar panel cable and causing my puddles do we think?

Or is it time to call demisterman?

Edited by Ark (see edit history)

Yeah, that would be the giveaway wouldn't it! I can't tell yet - I was only able to wiggle my hand under the carpet and felt wetness, since I'm at work. It looks clear on my fingers (I'm using red forlife coolant) but in small enough quantities...

Yeah, that would be the giveaway wouldn't it! I can't tell yet - I was only able to wiggle my hand under the carpet and felt wetness, since I'm at work. It looks clear on my fingers (I'm using red forlife coolant) but in small enough quantities...

Check to see if the bottom of the door cards are damp, if water is getting past the window seal it can leak through inside the door, soaking the bottom of the door cars and onto the carpet.

Well, yes, but I wouldn't know the smell of coolant if it bit me on the arse (and that's after having done my own rad-swap). Anyway, I have a terrible sense of smell...

Remove rad cap, put nose to rad opening and take a deep breath through your nose, process that smell in your brain and file it away in the things to remember section. Go to footwell, put your nose next to the fluid take a deep breath through your nose. Return to the things to remember section of your brain and compare the 2 smells. Does that help :)

Usually when the heater matrix goes you will get coolant vapour coming through the heater vents when they are on full and the engine is up to temp. You also may hear a gurgling from the heater matrix behind dash on passenger side.

Check to see if the bottom of the door cards are damp, if water is getting past the window seal it can leak through inside the door, soaking the bottom of the door cars and onto the carpet.

Interesting suggestion - the car has always had a buildup of water at the back of the door frame between the two seals. It pours out when I open the door...now I guess it could have got past the inner seal too.

Interesting suggestion - the car has always had a buildup of water at the back of the door frame between the two seals. It pours out when I open the door...now I guess it could have got past the inner seal too.

If it's getting into the door it'll be the horizontal seal between the window and door.

If it's getting into the door it'll be the horizontal seal between the window and door.

Sorry - I meant that the water stands between the two seals on the chassis, where the plastic kickplate is. I don't know how it gets there, through the door itself or round a seal...

New question coming out of this: under the drivers seat, someone has spliced a power connection off to somewhere under the dash, using bullet connectors. Now I know the obvious thing to do is chase the cable and see where it goes (there are plenty of add-on gadgets in there!), but is there anything that is commonly connected like this?

Edit: looks like someone has swapped the standard power-seat connector at some point, reason unknown. Until I chase the cable, I'm guessing that the car came without a powered seat, being an RZ.

Edited by Ark (see edit history)