The mkiv Supra Owners Club

when would you replace the water pump

mellonman

As far as i know mine was fine but decided to fit a new one when i had a chunk of other work done, valve stem seals, cam belt, belt pulleys and tensioners, ac rad.

16 yrs old and 130,000 miles, the cars always been run on Cool Red though so that might make a differance

Either,

1. when it starts to leak(normally from the front bearing and onto the alternator, which mine did)

2. when the bearing starts to make a whining noise, normally when 1st starting the car,

3. if you are replacing the cambelt anyway, as you`re at the w/pump and if the pump hasn`t been done it makes sense to replace it now,

Erm thats it really.

bignum

simptoms love it helps everyone

2.makes a whining noise when starting when first starting!

this is exactly why i asked this question as mine seemed very load this morning almost like it had a super charger like from mad max lol, but wasnt sure if it was down to it beeing icy

Mellonman's is a TT I think, but if it were an NA, I would say it is pointless changing the pump without changing the 20mm core plug inthe rear pump housing as well once it was all out and exposed. Not had the TT one out, but dont think the TT one has the same core plug.

When you do the cambelt is logical as its exposed, so 60k miles/100k kms but Im not sure its lifed as such

3. if you are replacing the cambelt anyway, as you`re at the w/pump and if the pump hasn`t been done it makes sense to replace it now

I was under the impression the water pump on the Supra isn't driven by the cambelt, but I might be wrong.

2.makes a whining noise when starting when first starting!

this is exactly why i asked this question as mine seemed very load this morning almost like it had a super charger like from mad max lol, but wasnt sure if it was down to it beeing icy

This could potentially be any of the pulleys. The aux belt tensioner pulley gets noisy with age (although doesn't really sound like a supercharger, more like just a squeal).

It's driven by the auxilary belt,but the cambelt needs to come off to be able to remove the pump.

There are different part Numbers for the TT and NA, but side by side they look identical, at least the after market ones I ordered in did. I have a feeling the numbers may be different due to the different rear pump housing used between models, but if you are replacing just the main pump then I dont think there will be an issue.

Edited by Shane (see edit history)