The mkiv Supra Owners Club

A lucky escape...

neo2810

So there I was, trundling down the A1, heading to a morning filled with testosterone and exhaust smoke, my engine purring like a finely tuned hamster wheel. I glanced at the speedo, 90mph. Happy with that, I kept a sharp eye on both the road ahead as far as I could see, and the rear view. Only once did I flex to a ton just to get past potential unsafe situations (buses and trucks prone to unexpected swerving).

Lo and behold, just 20 minutes of Northallerton I notice a car which looks more intent than the rest, growing larger in my mirrors until I catch a glimpse of the unmistakable extended roof. :blink: My right foot eases slowly off the accelerator, as if this may fool anyone into thinking it's been half mast the whole time. I watch the speedo slide down from 90, to 85, to 80, and then, not wanting to appear desperate to please, I hang at 80 for a few seconds before easing down to 75 and watching as North Yorkshire's finest looms larger and plonks himself behind me. I slide into the left lane and he follows. Shit, I think quietly... :giveup:

Sure enough, after a pause just long enough to make me start filling with hope, the blues come on and we pull into a layby. At this point, I'm thinking how damn annoying it is that my clean licence is going to be tainted by 6 points or removed from me, but also how it's winter and if it's only 6 months that's not so bad. :(

Officer approaches, window is wound down and music killed. :innocent:

Me: "Morning" (in as nochelont a voice as possble) :sly:

Officer: "Morning, any particular reason you were driving at over 100 miles per hour?

Me: (thinking) "Bullshit, your just trying to get me to admit guilt you slimy w***er"

Me: (saying) "I didn't realise I was going that fast, I thought I was running around 85 officer?" :innocent:

Officer: "I calibrated my camera myself this morning, and I've clocked you at 101mph over about half a mile"

Me: (Thinking) " My god, you must have an invisible mode or I want one of those cameras!"

Me: (Saying) "I'm sorry, I didn't realise, although I am a careful driver around town, I generally push a little on the motorway, but there's no excuse for that speed. I genuinely didn't realise that was what I was doing." (grovel grovel) :imsorry:

Officer: Is this your car?

Me: (Smiling proudly) Yes... :D (then losing the smile as I remember I'm about to lose the ability to drive it) :imsorry:

Officer: Do you have your licence?

Me: Half of it. (Hands over photocard)

After a minute of radio squwaking and me confirming I am who the radio said I should be...

Officer: Have you been drinking?

Me: No, no...

Officer: Your eyes look glazed

Me: Yeah, I've been up since 6 with the kids.

Officer: Ah ok, where you headed to?

Me: Northallerton, to a charity do (smooth, methinks) :eyebrows:

Officer: You have any points on your licence?

Me: No, none at all (with pride)

Officer: This is a nice car, and fast, but doesn't mean you have to drive it fast.

Me: yes, you're right, and I have no excuse, I should know better.

Officer: Yes, you should. I'm going to give you a verbal warning today, watch your speed from now on....

Ha...llelujah, ha...llelujah, halle...lujah, halle...lujah, ha... lle... lu...jah! :D:D:D

Me: I will do, thanks, appreciate that. Good day. :kissass:

And in my head I wheelspin off in a thick plume of smoke, but in reality I wimp off trying desperately to muffle the sound of my racing exhaust and hold well below 70 until the poilce car is well out of sight. :taped:

I live to ride another day. And I'd love to add that chap to my xmas card list because I've never heard of anyone getting away with 100mph+ without at least a fine. Who was it that said watch out for Northallerton cops because they are bastards? I disagree... :innocent:

PS: I'm still convinced I kept at 90mph so I think it's time I had the calibration on my speedo checked :rolleyes:

Edited by neo2810 (see edit history)

Iv had a lucky escape like that... I didn't realised he was following me down the motor way past Oxford. Anyway, to cut a long story short... in his own words "I was trying to catch you and I couldn't"

When he finally caught up he gave me a good shouting at then let me go... needless to say, I learned my lessons and slowed down allot!!

I bet he was bullshitting. Isn't over 100mph an instant ban or something serious like that? If he had indeed caught you on his 'freshly calibrated gun' then I'm sure he'd bang you to rights for it. Coppers are really sneaky into tricking you into admitting things. Glad you kept your cool and sweet talked your way out of his trap! Keep your eye out for these sneaky bastards! ;)

I had the feeling he was fishing for admission of guilt so I made sure I didn't offer it. I thought the magic ban number was 97mph but who knows.

Anyway, unless those cameras can track you from at least 3/4 mile back, I reckon he was bluffing and only pulled me expecting a chav with no insurance.

Nice one.

I had a similar incident a while back where the police caught me accelerating quickly (not going fast exactly and not over the limit and it was at 2am) so they pulled me over. I did pretty much the same thing and got out and they just started talking about how nice the car was. Felt brilliant and relieved at the same time. :) Not even a verbal warning really... checked the license and insurance (because there was some disbelief over my age) and was just told to be careful and have a good night. End of.

Who was it that said watch out for Northallerton cops because they are bastards? I disagree... :innocent:

I grew up in Northallerton. :)

Generally the Police were always very decent back then. I only ever had one incident coming home late one night from a club, I was probably 18 at the time. I passed a parked marked car on the A19, I was speeding so slowed down, he followed me all the way to Northallerton - a good 8 miles - about a mile behind me. He eventually pulled me in the middle of Northallerton Highstreet and instructed me to sit in his car.

The guy was a real bastard trying to wind me up, saying I'd been speeding and I'd obviously been drinking (which I hadn't) and would fail the breathe test, telling me how I was going to have to go to court, would lose my license, blah, blah, blah. By this time I was bricking it, I knew I would pass a breath test but this guy seemed really out to get me.

Any way after winding me up for a good 10 minutes he finally asks me my name, I give him my name and he suddenly smiles, from Scruton (village I lived in) right? "Yes I say". "On your way then, take it easy with the speed okay". I was dumbfounded he just let me go, didn't even breath test me or take any more details.

I think he must have known my Dad, his company use to help with Police Charity fundraising stuff and so he'd had a sudden change of heart :)

I grew up in Northallerton. :)

Generally the Police were always very decent back then. I only ever had one incident coming home late one night from a club, I was probably 18 at the time. I passed a parked marked car on the A19, I was speeding so slowed down, he followed me all the way to Northallerton - a good 8 miles - about a mile behind me. He eventually pulled me in the middle of Northallerton Highstreet and instructed me to sit in his car.

The guy was a real bastard trying to wind me up, saying I'd been speeding and I'd obviously been drinking (which I hadn't) and would fail the breathe test, telling me how I was going to have to go to court, would lose my license, blah, blah, blah. By this time I was bricking it, I knew I would pass a breath test but this guy seemed really out to get me.

Any way after winding me up for a good 10 minutes he finally asks me my name, I give him my name and he suddenly smiles, from Scruton (village I lived in) right? "Yes I say". "On your way then, take it easy with the speed okay". I was dumbfounded he just let me go, didn't even breath test me or take any more details.

I think he must have known my Dad, his company use to help with Police Charity fundraising stuff and so he'd had a sudden change of heart :)

PM me your surname, please Nic. Always handy for when i go over the north-east :)

haha good read! Sounds like you may of hit 101 when passing the bus. I find it hard to keep the speed under a ton when you have 400 horses at your disposal as well, but i do exactly the same as you when passing lorrys.

Seems the copper was a decent guy, but was he on a bridge or just driving way off behind you to clock you with an 'apparent' gun?

Seems the copper was a decent guy but was he on a bridge or just driving way off behind you to clock you with an 'apparent' gun?

I firmly believe he actually was the road for a while because my observation is usually astute when it comes to picking out marked and unmarked cars but this bloke zoomed up out of nowhere. I checked every bridge so he must have been following me from a long way back and I doubt he knew how fast I was going at all.