The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Issue with TT brake discs and pads

edinlexusV8

Hello Folks,

I upgraded to TT brakes - calipers, discs, pads and goodridge brakelines around this time last year. I bought new calipers, pads are EBC yellow stuff ones and the discs are from EBC too (dimpled and grooved). I have put all together around 9,000 miles on them.

From the last 4 weeks my brakes are behaving a bit funny. They are making quite a bit of squealing noise when I apply brakes and they dont have the same bite they used to have. Dont know what is causing the problem. Also when I go round a corner, brake and accelerate at the same time I hear a bit of shuddering noise. There is enough brake fluid in the reservoir. The discs seem to have a bit of life left in them for another 4-5 months. The garage which I always use says that the Yellow stuff pads are not good for normal road use as they can see that the pads are not biting onto the disc. There are quite a few polished streaks on the disc rather than a matt look. The mechanic thinks that these pads are not getting the right operating temp to bite and replacing with RED stuff pads would be a better thing to do. I have only done 9000 miles on them which is about half of their suggested/advised replacement miles.

So I would like to know what is the best thing to do. Replace pads? Replace pads and discs? Not sure to go with EBC or look elsewhere? Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thank you

Do the pads have tabs for low pad wear? It might well be one or more are touching the disc and causing the noise (That's why they're there). Also if one or more of the pads are very low it can cause similar issues to what you've described. Have all the pistons been checked?

EBC pads are absolute garbage IME, regardless of the "colour" they are. Red stuffs are about the only ones marginally useful for track use, but are not suitable for the road. Get some more suitable pads like the CW fast road, and by the sounds of it some new OEM discs, if they're near end of life anyway now would be a good time to replace.

Just swapping the pads from EBC yellow to a performance one will result in a dramatic improvement in braking performance.

I have been using EBC brake pads and discs on my cars for the past few years, and i've never had any problems with them. I use Red Stuff pads myself, and find them superb on the road.

I would'nt fit Yellow stuff pads for road use though. They are more suited for the track, as they need to be warmed up to perform best.

If the discs look ok, i would suggest fitting different pads first, and see how it goes. Try using a little copper grease on the back of the pads

When braking, can you feel any vibration on the brake pedal?

I have been using EBC brake pads and discs on my cars for the past few years, and i've never had any problems with them. I use Red Stuff pads myself, and find them superb on the road.

I am sure they worked great on the Fiesta, Astra, Clio and Prelude, I really wouldnt put a MKIV in the same league as those motors and as Homer said, EBC IMHO are junk and not suited to proper sports cruiser ;)

:yeahthat:

Stock discs and CW pads for the win on a road car with occasional track use :thumbs:

I hear alot about these CW pads, so i'll have give them a go next time. Although i did many hard laps round the Nurburgring in 07 in my Supra, with these EBC brakes fitted, and they never let me down once. I really do find them excellent. Although it looks like it's just me with this opinion :rolleyes:

mmm i seem to be getting a rather large amount of juddering when applying the brake's after high speeds, do we think its possibly warped discs ?

if so chris can you PM me....;)... a price for stock discs (if you do them) and CW pads for front and rear :)

Would be very much appreciated

p.s. sorry for thread stealing :innocent: