The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Quick Single Turbo Kit Question

Guest Robo69

Hello

after much thought i have decided to get a supra but i have a few questions if its possible for someone to answer.

1. I have £12,000 will that get me a 500bhp Signle

2. if no to 1 how much are turbo kits from tt to signle with everything needed to fit

3. are the uk spec brakes any good

thankyou

sorry if they are silly questions im just getting info

1. I've seen singles sell for that before, and they are usually lower HP cars with a basic kit on them rather than having a built engine etc. You haven't said whether you want manual or auto?

2. Not applicable as 1 was yes but it ranges. Check out the traders for prices on new kits, but budget in labour, ECU, fuel setup and Mapping. Second hand kits can be had for a bargain on here though.

3. I have a single and I still think the UK brakes are perfectly adequate for road use. Might get some CW pads this year to see what difference they make though.

EDIT: lol everyone got in there first. ;)

Edited by leelbuk (see edit history)

thanks guys, i could stretch to £14,000 for the car if its what i want and been looked after must be a manual.

i will start looking in december for a car ready for january.

thanks again

thanks guys, i could stretch to £14,000 for the car if its what i want and been looked after must be a manual.

i will start looking in december for a car ready for january.

thanks again

For £14k you could get a fairly decent single turbo set up.

If you buy a TT and concvert it you'll probably spend that £14k again to make it decent AND reliable, plus whatever you buy the TT for in the first place :)

true true, i just hope i buy a good one not a banger, is there anything i need to look out for

I think if you're buying from someone on here, if they singled the car themselves then look through their build thread and posts about their car because then you will be able to see if there have been any problems with the car.

I've also read that if the car's reliable it would be best to get a car that's been running a single turbo for a year or more without problems.

Good luck with your search :)

Have a chat with Jurgen (JM Imports on here) he may be able to help you out with sourcing a car from Japan.

Join up and have a look through the classifieds on here too, pleanty of nice cars of various specs available for your budget :)

I'd have a look at members cars first, but this seems like a good price for the spec: http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/2216608.htm

Edited by j_jza80 (see edit history)

Ive bought a single turbo kit from a trader on the forum,

A ecu and boost controller from a well known member.

I have bought/buying the rest from whifbitz!

My car was already bpu, with a fmic, and defi gauges,'so a bit of a saving, my build should come in at around £7-7.5'inc mapping, not that you HAVE to do all the little extras have bought bits for, but I am looking for 600hp+!

So all together I'm looking at around £15k, but I would prefer build one then buy one,

But there is some crackers on here for under that amount! ;-)

Edited by Bailey. (see edit history)

Ive bought a single turbo kit from a trader on the forum,

A ecu and boost controller from a well known member.

I have bought/buying the rest from whifbitz!

My car was already bpu, with a fmic, and defi gauges,'so a bit of a saving, my build should come in at around £7-7.5'inc mapping, not that you HAVE to do all the little extras have bought bits for, but I am looking for 600hp+!

So all together I'm looking at around £15k, but I would prefer build one then buy one,

But there is some crackers on here for under that amount! ;-)

doing a similar build myself, but engine is balanced and built, buying all the stuff to go with it.

not cheap but a good bit of fun and parts brand new so is a fresh build, i have a na and going straight tt-single so finding looms ecu's ect is the costly part for me.

doing a similar build myself, but engine is balanced and built, buying all the stuff to go with it.

not cheap but a good bit of fun and parts brand new so is a fresh build, i have a na and going straight tt-single so finding looms ecu's ect is the costly part for me.

Sounds good, I'm leaving my engine alone for the time being and will just see how it holds.

It's very much 'buyer beware' if purchasing a single turbo car, to the inexperienced they may all look similar but there is a huge difference between a properly built Supra that is going to be reliable and something that's had a load of cheap parts thrown at it.

If you do find a car you are interested in post some details here so we can give it the once over, if it is a good one I'd still want to get it to a local Supra expert and get it thoroughly checked over before parting with any money.

but I am looking for 600hp+!

With the GT30R? I think you might struggle to reach that, the stock exhaust manifold on your kit *may* limit the boost you'll be able to safely run before things start getting too hot. My GT35R made around 540hp at 1.3bar, I generally ran it at 1.4bar so probably around 550hp, I could have run more boost and perhaps got another 50+hp, but preferred to keep things safe and reliable.

With the GT30R? I think you might struggle to reach that, the stock exhaust manifold on your kit *may* limit the boost you'll be able to safely run before things start getting too hot. My GT35R made around 540hp at 1.3bar, I generally ran it at 1.4bar so probably around 550hp, I could have run more boost and perhaps got another 50+hp, but preferred to keep things safe and reliable.

I think it's a T88