The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Suspension Query / Looking for a garage

The-Plethora

I have had another check over the suspension this weekend when it's light so I can actually see what I am doing. The top mounts are damaged and need to be replaced.

It has the super street damper suspension without upper mounts I believe and the stock ones have been replaced with HKS ones. I am unsure if they are a direct replacement for the stock ones of if there is something else missing.

Checking it over I have decided it's a bit beyond me and the tools I have to hand so I am hoping to take this to a trader to get sorted along with a few other bits to get it MOT ready. Everyone seems to be around the M25 which is a bit of a pain but I will travel if needs be.

My problem...

Suspension top mounts seem knackered on both sides at the front...

I have some stock front top mounts but cant tell if they are interchangeable and dont really want to take it all apart to find I cant switch them and be even more stuck.

But as you can see if this is the super street damper kit without top mounts (to be used with stock ones) how are these HKS ones fitting on? I presume they are a drop in replacement for stock to just look pretty?

So I am a little unsure what I need. Have a quick look at the instructions that you can download for the suspension...

The circled bit shows some sort of adaptor that I presume I dont have that is used to adapt it for stock suspension. I could try and get hold of this (presuming no other bits are needed) or get TEIN upper mounts (pillowball) and hope that does the trick...

I cant see where I can source standard TEIN upper mounts that I presume would be cheaper than the pillowball type or this adaptor collar thing (presuming thats all I need).

I am getting a bit desperate now and the car has been off the road for a week so I just want to take it to a garage / trader to get it sorted but if I can get the bits and bring them along to be swapped it makes things easier. So if anyone has any idea what these HKS mounts are, if they look a stock replacement and if its worth trying to go back to stock mounts and attempting to source that adaptor circled or just take the financial hit and get the TIEN top mounts and hope that comes with the bits I need let me know.

Any garage reccommends that would keep the cost fairly lowish would be helpful. :innocent:

They aren't interchangeable with stock, HKS use a peculiar damper rod size with a sleeve nut inside the spherical bearing. HKS will sell new top mounts. I have just bought new spring seat adjusters for s et of Hipermax II dampers I have rebuilt. I *MAY* just have a pair of top mounts for those dampers, I would need time to find them though. I have perfect used stock top mounts, and bump stops for front and rear in stock, if you decide to bin the HKS stuff and fit something else, like Bilsteins. The alloy HKS use for the top mounts and the spring seat rings is appalling stuff, it's probably Chinese made.

Cheers Chris

I would prefer to dump the HKS stuff to be honest, as you say the quality seems terrible.

A little confused though this HKS damper rod size must be the same as TEIN use providing there are no adaptors used or anything.

I have been looking at 2 new TEIN fronts, reason being is they should be compatable with the existing kit as when you buy the kit with top mounts as opposed to without I would imagine these are what you would get.

It says it uses a spherical bearing to replace the stock rubber mount so hopefully even if I don't have one on the existing stuff it shouldnt be a problem. I will order these today unless anybody can see if there are still other bits I need to buy? Don't want to makie an expensive mistake.

Hopefully I can persuade my local garage to fit them, I know they can get a bit funny with aftermarket bits but £160 less fitting seems a reasonable option at the moment.

I am currently driving around in a 1.4 litre pea green honda jazz, and whilst it's nice and easy to park I cant wait to get back in the soup. :)