The mkiv Supra Owners Club

M.O.T after rebuild

djg99

I've just put my engine back into the car after re-building the engine, but the M.O.T has run out. I no i have to run the engine by not going over a certain speed/ revs etc, but how do i get the car past its MOT as when they do the emissons test they have to rev the balls out of the car, will this do any damage??

I did exactly this when rebuilding my engine. You don't really want it sitting idling for ages with a completely new engine, you want at least the first 50 or so miles to be at varying loads. If you subscribe to the running in method where you seat the rings by using full throttle (or at least 0 boost in a turbo car) then snapping it shut and coasting then you want to do that in the first few miles. Either way the easiest way of doing it is to remember that you are allowed to drive to and from a pre-booked MOT. So you can drive around on your way to the test centre and you will get away with it even if you are pulled over. So I put the first 50 or so miles on on the way to the MOT, then went back home after the test and did the first oil and filter change. I also made sure they knew to take it easy and run it for the minimum amount, and it was a test place I trust so that was fine. The emissions test is done at idle and "fast idle". How many rpm the fast idle is varies with the engine (they look it up). Dunno what it is for the 2JZ but it won't be more than 3000rpm and you only need to hold it there for 30s so it will be fine.