The mkiv Supra Owners Club

MKIV Prices

Terminator

I am probably out of touch with current MKIV prices, but a good friend, not a member, has sold his Auto TT after seven years of ownership. The car has Hybrids, and a full HKS package of gauges and controllers, proven 464bhp dyno, low miles, summer use only, totally loved and cared for, heated dry winter storage, no expense spared, immaculate all for for £9.2K.

Ive never understood why the Mk4 holds its value so well compared to other big Toyotas. I mean, on the thread about the TT for 3800 it looks a bargain and its cheap for a Mk4, but when you realise you could get a mint Soarer or Mk1 Aristo (sometimes Mk2) for the same cash.... They are basically the same cars and with the Aristo, same engine, box, suspension.

Guest niteryder
Ive never understood why the Mk4 holds its value so well compared to other big Toyotas. I mean, on the thread about the TT for 3800 it looks a bargain and its cheap for a Mk4, but when you realise you could get a mint Soarer or Mk1 Aristo (sometimes Mk2) for the same cash.... They are basically the same cars and with the Aristo, same engine, box, suspension.

Because there is a higher demand for the Supra.

What year was it ? J spec or UK ? what was the low mileage ? if it was low why did it need hybrids fitting ? over £9k sounds like a good sale for the seller to me unless its a late import with proven history

I would agree with that. It's a buyers market at the moment and there are plenty of Supra's available. He did extremely well if it's not as mentioned above.

MkIV sale prices are still hitting above their weight at the moment, IMO. Like dude posted a couple weeks' ago - I wouldn't be surprised if prices have to start dropping drastically in the next 12-24 months. Was a great time for your mate to sell if he got £9k for it!

"Classic" cars DO bottom out. Look at 993 prices for example - they haven't budged below £15k for the past 5 years at least.

However, I would be greatly surprised if the MkIV Supra was subject to this "classics" phenomenon. You can pick up a mint(ish) '93 300ZX (not much worse a car than the MkIV IMO) for little more than £2,000 these days. At that price, doesn't matter if it breaks or you run it into the ground, if you can afford to buy 3 of them for the same money as an equivalent Supra.

Edited by Snooze (see edit history)

It may well be a buyers market for run of the mill Supras, but nice ones are fairly hard to come by. For an enthusiast who is after a nice example, I can see the good ones appreciating as the ropey dog ones grow in numbers.

They will, but right now no-one is buying the nice ones either. It's just a bad time for selling a car. After Christmas things should pick up a bit.

Not many mint Mk1 Aristos around though... I've only seen dodgy ones. Same with Mk2 Aristos - realyl rare!

That aside, maybe people realise they have to sell it ASAP now before the Xmas mania really kicks in. After 2010 ends the used price would drop drastically ... Depreciation sucks for the seller but its mostly a buyers market now I guess.

Guest niteryder

A rough dog will be worth sod all, but may sell fast as more people can afford it. You have to hold out for the 'right' buyer to get a good price for a good car.

I think I know who Phil is talking about, the car is very clean and worth the £9k+ it sold for, and he doesnt seem short of money so will not have been in a hurry to sell.

10 years ago the Supra was worth £20k+ due to age and the 'wow' factor. Its dated styling and the fact that everyone has seen a millon of them mean that an example has to be 'special' to sell for top price.

If someone sells a good car for a for a good price good luck to them. I thought £8K - £8.4 tops, it just shows there are buyers prepared to pay good money for a clean example. I know the owner took over a year sourcing this car and was only prepared to sell for the price he wanted, if he could not get it, he would have kept it, it was a week end toy. I know many that have seen my car tell me it is mint, but compared to this one mine is average. Just for information as far as I recall it was a N plate, 60K, JDM. Seven / eight years ago, hybrids was a good option for more power, and believe it or not some people took off perfectly good stock turbos to up the power with hybrids by choice not because their turbos were dead.

I took this owner out for a ride in the C6, to assist him with his next car purchase.

I does seem that there is a large proportion of this community that is happy to talk down the value of the MKIV which is stupid. A car is always worth what someone is willing to pay. Why do we see so many see good big power examples going going abroad, because the English are tight and will not pay for a highly developed car.

You can't compare a Supra to a soarer, aristo, 300zx or gto or any other car of that age!! All of them are as ugly as Betty!!! The supra is probably the prettiest and most handsome car of it's generation! And that my friends is why it keeps it's value and it deservedly should!

Let's not degrade and depreciate the car that brings YOU here time and time again! Support it and make it worth more, that's what we should be doing!

You can't compare a Supra to a soarer, aristo, 300zx or gto or any other car of that age!! All of them are as ugly as Betty!!! The supra is probably the prettiest and most handsome car of it's generation! And that my friends is why it keeps it's value and it deservedly should!

Let's not degrade and depreciate the car that brings YOU here time and time again! Support it and make it worth more, that's what we should be doing!

:yes::salute::amen:

Have to say a guy I have never met before was waxing lyrical about mine and he said MK IV prices were a shock to him. He sold his MK IV 3 years ago and was trying to get a decent un-molested example (not sure what model:shrug:) but could not afford the prices being quoted at the moment for what he wanted.

So I think tidy models are probably holding their prices especially Uk models, VVTI and TT 6 speeds (maybe one day:D:drool:)

Guest niteryder
You can't compare a Supra to a soarer, aristo, 300zx or gto or any other car of that age!! All of them are as ugly as Betty!!!!

exacly. A LOT of 90's Jap cars actually look SH1T