The mkiv Supra Owners Club

UK Alarm - It's CAT 1 isn't it?

michael

I've always thought that the standard alarm on the UK Supras is a CAT 1 (or was at the time of fitting). When I took out insurance with Adrian Flux they confirmed this but now that I've sent the docs back with "factory fit" under the security section (as well as a second immob) they are saying this isn't the case.

My car was built in March '94 according to the Toyota EPC - so does it have a factory CAT 1?

It's a Scorpion alarm I think? Is there anywhere I can compare the model number of it (if I can find this) against a list of Thatcham alarms to see if it's there?

Failing this can anyone supply hard evidence that the UKs got a CAT 1?

I'm still likely to be covered even if they don't believe me thanks to the other immob but it's a PITA!

Drove past Adrian Flux at the weekend too, nice to see the money we pay being used well, fancy office in the country, huge pond, football pitch, driving range... etc etc

I hate insurance.

As long as it was built after Jan 94, or thereabouts, it is CAT 1. Mine is October 93, so insurance companies don't even acknowledge it having any standard security: handy seeing as my alarm was removed accidentally!

Seb

From Adrian Flux:

"We note from your Immobiliser Declaration that you have stated that the vehicle has a factory fitted immobiliser, we note from our listing that this was not fitted as standard"

From me:

"Toyota alarm documentation provided with the car at original purchase states:

The theft deterrent system fitted to this vehicle has designed in accordance with the recommendations of the association of British insurers. It provides a deterrent by combining an engine immobiliser with a security module that controls warning sirens.

Among other things the features list includes:

Passive Arming

2 Stage Immobiliser

Auto Reset

Battery Backup Siren

Door, bonnet and boot protection

Ultrasonics

And more.....

In addition to this I have a futher immobiliser fitted, I trust this will meet with your security requirements"

I've only just posted the amended form back to them today and felt that the info I'd provided was enough - I didn't hunt the code out unfortunately.

I'll do some more digging and see what I can find, the original Toyota brochure doesn't mention much about security (or anything for that matter) but the instructions that came with the alarm suggest CAT 1 to me.

I think AF need to update their system, I'll fight with them about it for a while ;)

Sorry, only just noticed this thread.

Hopefully, this should help to clear up any confusion.

The Standard alarm fitted to the Supra is actually the Toyota 5000. It wasn't factory fitted, (pedantic!), it was dealer fitted to all official UK Supra TT's from July 1994 to August 1996.

The Thatcham approval number is TC1-75/0694

The Toyota 5000 is actually a Scorpion 5000 cat 1

The Toyota TVSS 3B was fitted to later Toyota's, but never the Supra, (at least, it shouldn't have been), and its actually a Cobra system.

HTH :)