The mkiv Supra Owners Club

high speeds with no spoiler?

roboldham

Hi

Right I got the new motor BPUd, got some nice Blitz Z1s and Goodyear F1 GS-D3s fitted. (245/35 19 + 275/30 19)

My car came with no spoiler so I have left it off - and have grown to like the look equally as much as with spoiler.

Has anyone any experience of high speed driving without it on?

On my first two test runs (on a private track) everything felt fine until 140 leptons (indicated) then the car got really skitty and didnt feel bedded down - all over the place left and right. This is repeatable and happens at the same speed ever time.

Front spoiler didnt seem to make much difference.

My last supe was rock solid all the way to 180ish (indicated) and I can't take mine over 150 odd for fear of taking off.

Anyone else had this - it's bugging the hell out of me?

R

Not sure about the rear spoiler thing but it might be worth checking to see if your new one has got the engine undertray on as since I took mine off for an oil change (not had time to refit it yet) it's as you say your is, the front end feels really light and not planted at speed (120+) as it was before.

Glad you've left the spoiler off Rob :)

I've had mine upto 165 indicated (didnt take it any faster that time cos I ran out of road!!!). It felt very solid. It doesnt have a full undertray, although I have heard that this would make a difference...

It feels safe over 140 every time I've been upto that speed...

Originally posted by Patrick_Devlin

Glad you've left the spoiler off Rob :)

I've had mine upto 165 indicated (didnt take it any faster that time cos I ran out of road!!!). It felt very solid. It doesnt have a full undertray, although I have heard that this would make a difference...

Not full undertray? Are there different types then?

I seem to have the undertray (image attached) so this doesn't get me any further.....arrrgh!

.http://www.roboldham.net/livesupe/undertray.jpg

The spoilers wouldn't really make all that much of a difference on straight sections of road at high speed. If anything they'd create an amount of drag. The downforce of the rear wing at 120mph was something like an average sized person sitting in the back. This is great for cornering but not much use for straight line speed.

The front spoiler also creates extra downforce but unless your on the limit cornering you wouldn't really notice the effects. There is a 90mph(ish) corner near to where I live where the visibility is good and you can really nail a car through it. I've tried with my front spoiler down and also when it's up and noticed on a 7mph speed increase with it down. I could only do 83mph with spoiler up and noticed the front end starting to 'grapple' for more grip. At 90mph with spoiler down is where it would start to 'grapple'.

So the main area where you are likely to notice differences with spoilers in in the twisty sections.

On your straight high speed runs was there a cross wind at all? Even small amounts of cross wind can upset the stability of a car travelling fast. Giving it the impression that the front end is 'loose'. It could also have been rutts in the road, although you'd most likely know if it was that.

Ok excellent info again AJI - good to see someone giving their motor stick!

I know the road, sorry track, in question really well - and I don't think it was wind related - bit will do further testing :-)

The ruts and tramlining I am well used to at high speed, this was far more feathery and skittish rather than the normal yanking around you get from big fatties in road grooves.

Is that really all the downforce the spoiler gives you? That is suprising.

Are there any stats out there anyone is aware of that compare the relative downforces of the different styles of spoiler?

R