The mkiv Supra Owners Club

RAC inspection

Kopite

ok, definately getting a supe now as long as the seller's still ok with that ;) need to get an RAC inspection done to keep the boss (dad) happy. i have no idea how this works! tried reading the website and that was fine for telling us what's included in each different level of test BUT what actually happens. do you book a test and they come and view the car that's being bought and test it there and then or do they take it somewhere else?

also, there's a bit of a price diff between the essentials and essentials +. is the essentials+ worth the extra ££?

cheers :D

I sold a renault 5 Turbo 2 of mine a while ago, and the buyer paid for an RAC inspection. Whilst the car was utterly mint, perfect and adorable, the inspection was a joke as the car is very rare, and has unusual and little known potential problems the RAC tester couldn't be expected to know about. The same applies to MKIV Supras, you are far beter getting someone that knows the cars intimately to examine it. (IMO). I'd have a look at it, but the car would have to come to me, rather than the other way around, as i am mega busy this next month or so. Good luck with it whatever happens.

Originally posted by kopite

cheers chris, how long would it take to look at and how much would you charge a fellow bbs member :innocent: :D

A verbal report would cost 75 quid if the car was brought to me. It would have a visual mechanical examination and road test, and a check as to whether any accident damage repairs were visible. I can go further and do compression and leakdown tests, et cetera, but most sellers blanche at their car being (at least partly) dismantled ;)

When I bought my rx-7 I had a RAC inspection done

The best bit was that he advised me that the big dent in the roof, possibly caused he said by someone sitting in the middle of it would be very costly to fix

He obviously didn't look at the 5 or so Rx-7s parked next to mine all displaying the same roof design :)