The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Will a N/A 5 speed 'work' with a TT?

marbleapple

Evening guys,

Sorry for the potentially dumb post but I have been wondering whether it is possible to transplant a TT engine into a 5 speed manual and use the manual box? - I presume you can but I have not seen many around and wondered why?

I presume there may be problems with reliability and will require modification etc?

I read somewhere that there are advantages of having 5 speed boxes over 6 speed boxes due to the gear ratios.

If anyone knows of useful threads re this topic I would be grateful for links.

Thanks

Ric

Yes you can mate, and use the same box.

Not too complicated to do.

Keron probably the best man for advice as he has done loads.

This set up certainly makes the car feel a lot nipper and more responsive to drive at lower speeds as opposed to a tt6

Thanks.

My thoughts are that N/A's are so cheap at the moment it's close to 3/4 times cheaper to buy a 5 speed N/A with a manual 5 speed than a 6 speed TT.

I note people talk a lot about 6 speed boxes but I am 'just' wanting a bog standard TT I don't know what the need is? (unless I am missing something?)

I have heard a good clutch and not to much boost will keep the box intact.... For a while anyway, getrag 6 speed manual is the one to have, expensive though.

From what i have seen they cost more than an N/A.

Are the 5 speed boxes so weak they can't take a TT?

standard tt power shouldn't cause too much trouble, ive run a bpu with a w58 for around two years with no probs at all,

It is also an idea to put a manual conversion in a TT auto??

You will end up with a higher spec car in the end, and also the TT auto diff ratios will effectively cancel out the missing 6th gear, giving you much higher top end speed and economy as opposed to a N/A diff and w58 box.

standard tt power shouldn't cause too much trouble, ive run a bpu with a w58 for around two years with no probs at all,

It is also an idea to put a manual conversion in a TT auto??

You will end up with a higher spec car in the end, and also the TT auto diff ratios will effectively cancel out the missing 6th gear, giving you much higher top end speed and economy as opposed to a N/A diff and w58 box.

I like kitted cars. Kitted 6 speed TT's are mega £. Kitted N/A's seem to be quite cheap. I just wanted to explore the option of dropping a TT into the manual N/A.

I am not a fan of auto's. Nothing to do with the box itself, more to do with the fact that I like to feel 'involved' when driving which i don't seem to get with autos. I must concede though that I have never driven a TT auto.

I know keron converts TT with 5 speeds, as does dude.

However if i was you i would dump a soarer engine in much cheaper mates up with the w58 box too.

Aren't they 2.5 though? I presume they are not at powerful as a Supra TT? - All a bit technical for me.

I presume a W58 is the 5 speed gearbox?

Aren't they 2.5 though? I presume they are not at powerful as a Supra TT? - All a bit technical for me.

I presume a W58 is the 5 speed gearbox?

hmm NOW we are talking, i have fitted a 2.5tt into my mkiv (vid somewhere ill find it out) and with bpu its close to 380 and revs like a monster, smoother power as the both turbo's come on together at 2.5 thou revs and are fully in at 3 thou and lasts right upto 7.8 thou.

And fitted driectly to my W58, also as there is no rush like the 3.0 tt the box will last longer due to it being smoother power.

With the 1JZ there are some wiring to do where as the 2JZ plugs right in, but either way you will need a TT rev counter as the N/A dont work.

here is the link to the vid.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=216371

I can supply a complete 1JZ TT with most parts needed for the MKIV and info to get it running from £750 - £850 depending on spec, so alot cheaper the 2JZ and with 440cc injectors in will hit 400hp with 420fbs torque, and lighter then the 2JZ and also sits lower in the car as its a shorter block.

Edited by little num
added vid. (see edit history)

Would you happen to know if much modificaiton was needed?

Concious of what Havard has said earlier on in the thread.

Hi dude, sorry to cause any worries. It was something I was going to have done by Keron myself until the VVTi came up. I thought that Dooms car was ok until I spoke to him recently.

Rob does push his car hard though, although I don't see the point of having turbos if you are frightened to use them...;)

There must be plenty of people on here that have experience.

H.

hmm NOW we are talking, i have fitted a 2.5tt into my mkiv (vid somewhere ill find it out) and with bpu its close to 380 and revs like a monster, smoother power as the both turbo's come on together at 2.5tho revs and are fully in at 3 tho and last right upto 8 tho.

And fitted driectly to my W58, also as there is no rush like the 3.0 tt the box will last longer due to it being smoother power.

With the 1JZ there are some wiring to do where as the 2JZ plugs right in, but either way you will need a TT rev counter as the N/A dont work.

here is the link to the vid.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=216371

So arguably, if one was going down the N/A route a soarer TT manual would be a good idea?

Do all Manual Soarers come with the W58 box?

Having a quick look on eBay, there doesn't appear to be that many manual soarers about.

Hi dude, sorry to cause any worries. It was something I was going to have done by Keron myself until the VVTi came up. I thought that Dooms car was ok until I spoke to him recently.

No problem. I appreciate you taking the to post. It is one of those things I thought about when I had my old manual N/A but I sold it before I ever asked the quesiton. I spent so much making it look how I wanted, it would have seemed silly to scrap it and start again with a new TT car.

Edited by marbleapple (see edit history)