The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Cheap twin electric fans

David P

Just a note from that advert...

(Please note, these fan shrouds & electric fan kits are not a 100% direct fit, they will require some modification/fabrication, if you are unsure of how to fit please do not buy, please be aware of this before leaving feedback)

I have a loom and thermostat all ready to go for this. Very tempting. Would this only fit a standard radiator or will it go on the fluidyne? ta

edit: after seeing demon tweeks prices i recommend http://www.x-eng.co.uk/X-Fan.asp for thermostat kits. Just need a couple of relays and away you go

Edited by KrisM
additional data (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...
Lovely engine bay David! :)

What is the major advantage of having these over the stock? (Sorry for the dumb question).

Thank you :blush:

That's the snap that made the montage on the cover of the new calendar. :)

They are quieter, only function when needed, which is when stuck in traffic or engine running without car moving.

Free up power from parasitic loss, and give more room to get at the front of the engine, look good too.

The OE water pump and viscous fan use around 13bhp, which is around 2mpg.

Can't remember off hand for just the fan, because have changed both.

I have been running a set of these for 12 months with no issues.

The one's I bought have a 'Mishimoto' label on, and cost twice the price plus International shipping plus import tax.

It is the same item.

The only difference is the price:

£440.63 + P&P + VAT ?

or

£69.99 inc VAT & P&P

:think:

Edited by David P (see edit history)

Free up power from parasitic loss, and give more room to get at the front of the engine, look good too.

Can't remember off hand for just the fan, because have changed both.

Is that the manufacturers claim or has it been proven on a dyno?

You don't need a dyno to work out that it requires power to turn a water pump and drive a fan.

Well while that is true, you probably will only free up a couple of BHP if any moving over to electric fans.

You see the Viscous fan isnt a "direct drive" unit, yes its powered by the engine but it runs on a clutch hence why you can move it when the engine is off... It will consume more engine power if its broken and turns the same speed as the engine, but a fan that is working correctly wont take away too much power from the engine.

You probably claim more BHP from changing over to an electric water pump, what kit did you use for that, it was something i looked at a couple of years ago but never got any further with.

Edited by ManwithSupra (see edit history)

Well while that is true, you probably will only free up a couple of BHP if any moving over to electric fans.

You see the Viscous fan isnt a "direct drive" unit, yes its powered by the engine but it runs on a clutch hence why you can move it when the engine is off... It will consume more engine power if its broken and turns the same speed as the engine, but a fan that is working correctly wont take away too much power from the engine.

You probably claim more BHP from changing over to an electric water pump, what kit did you use for that, it was something i looked at a couple of years ago but never got any further with.

The viscous coupled fan is engaged at all times once the engine has warmed up.

I used a Meziere electric water pump, you can see it in the engine pic on the previous page, but should you decide to fit one, make sure that it is going to fit before you strip the engine!

The one I bought had 4 bolt holes in the wrong place, and the U.S. is a long way to take it back.

Details in my garage if you click on the thumbnails in the cooling section.

In fact almost every 'made in the U.S.' component I have utilised has required re-engineering.

While that is true, 13bhp both seems optimistic and rather precise? I think Nic was wondering where that number comes from. Me too.

Yes I was curious where the figure had come from. If manufacturer's advertised claims on power increase gains for each of their products are to be believed, eg. exhaust, intake kit, electric fans, decats, exhaust manifold, lighter pulleys, etc. etc. and add them all up, I doubt the resultant dyno figure would agree.

Edited by Nic (see edit history)

They are quieter, only function when needed, which is when stuck in traffic or engine running without car moving.

And what powers the fans and electric water pump? While you might see some gains, you still have to power the units and that means an alternator will now get the load instead.

I have just spent an hour searching, but could not find where I read the number 13.

There are plenty of quotes like this though.

"Here is my experience, when I had the 327 in my car running 13.10 with a best of 13.0 I was running the mechanical h2o pump, mech. fan and power steering. I swithced to elec. fan, moroso elect drive for h20 pump and put a manual steering box on. No other changes at all and car ran 12.50's and best 12.43 and mph went from 102 to 106 which is the best indicator of hp increase."

Edited by David P (see edit history)