The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Cheap Supra? Am I missing something?

marbleapple

Morning all,

I am currently the winning bidding the below car. I just wondered if anyone knew anything about it?

It seems cheap at the moment but that's what worries me.... and the poor description.

Some pictures show an intercooler but the engine bay picture shows (I think based on my poor technical knowledge) a radiator. I also think there is a bit of wood holding up the pipe leading to the air filter?

I can't help thinking I have seen the car before too... but can't find it on searches....anyone able to shed any light?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150510976486&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

From my past experience this had to ring some alarm bells :

The car comes with NO MOT or Tax as it has been sorn off the Road the past year.

A car that's SORN for so long is bound to have problems. I bet those pictures are not recent too? It's a NA-T conversion from the pictures I think.

Oh also noticed this :

Single Turbo Conversion - to increase BHP would require tuning!

I think its best for you to ask further questions... Some questions I would ask are:

1) Is the car running at the moment?

2) Are those recent pictures?

3) Do you have receipts/history of the work carried out?

Edited by jonathanc (see edit history)

So it looks like an NA-T conversion but by the sounds of it, its never been started up or running, especially as they say it needs injectors and mapping. Plus i'd guess that its still running the NA auto box.

If its cheap enough i'm sure it would make a cheap starting point but be prepared to spend big ££ to get it to even run i'd say..

I think its best for you to ask further questions... Some questions I would ask are:

1) Is the car running at the moment?

2) Are those recent pictures?

3) Do you have receipts/history of the work carried out?

I asked questions and didn't get straight answers (other than it's her ex's car). Thats why i posted here smelling a mess I might be getting myself into.

You have a very good memory, it was me to nearly brought it.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=181597

Thanks Abz. I knew I had seen it.

Have you only been around since April 09?!

Edited by marbleapple (see edit history)

I asked questions and didn't get straight answers (other than it's her ex's car).

Is it even hers to sell then?!

Also, that's not a bit of wood :D It's a ceramic tile or something to insulate the intake from the heat off the turbo housing. A bit of wood 'wood'nt last that long arf arf

Edited by Ian C (see edit history)

Low reserve = owner wants rid of it. You have to ask, why after spending what is required for a single conversion, are they getting rid of it. The % cost of mapping of good tune is small compared with the conversion cost and would really aid sale especially with a dyno print out, so why is it not done? The state of the head lamps show how it has been neglected. A bit of paint correction can make a shed look good.

Personally I would not bid 1p on a car I had not been able to give a thorough once over. It is a risk, it could be a fantastic buy or a huge money pit.

Edit, just noticed the hose over hose connecting the plenum, suggests the "tile" was an afterthought, after the original hose got cooked" or cheap skate who could not afford a reducer, either way, this would not in still confidence re the quality of the build.

The rather pink looking MR2 enforces the neglect theme for me.

Edited by Terminator (see edit history)

Thanks Abz. I knew I had seen it.

Have you only been around since April 09?!

No worries, seems like a life time eh, I was a lurker for a while ;)

Well the story behind this car was that it was his ex's car (think he brought it for her) & she never drives it so he wanted a sale. From what I gathered he had just popped on a eBay turbo in the hope it would make it more desirable to sell. I asked about the work & it was done by a local garage :blink:

When I asked if it was in a decent condition to drive back to London, he said I could as long as I didn't pull to hard (keep it under 2,500 RPM) but it would be my own risk. After some excellent advise from Martin in ISS (I owe that man a drink!) I decided to stay clear. Not that he said don't buy it but he gave a quick brief down on an NA-T conversion & what it involved. I was grateful for his time & advice :)