The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Morning All

Guest Tubbygit

Guest Tubbygit

Just thought I'd pretend to have good manners by posting a new member hello :D

I don't currently have a Supra. But am seriously considering one, as they seem to fit the bill for what I want (nice looking, modernish, practicalish, coupe, that I can actually afford).

I currently drive a 98 Audi S4 Avant (the 2.7 bi-turbo version), tis VERY quick, but to be honest I don't use all the load space and the back seats almost never have anyone in them.

I'm thinking fairly standard NA manual (pref 6-speed) with a LSD is probably the way to go (don't think I need the extra poke of a TT and I want to try & keep the running costs down).

Would definitely de-spoiler as it improves the looks a lot IMHO, quite like the veilside front bumpers too (but I need a car that can handle speed bumps, so lowering is not for me)

If anyone knows of a car like the one above that someone would like to swap for my uber family bus then please let me know (needs to be low mileage and nice condition).

Ta,

Dan.

Guest Tubbygit
Welcome to the club, don't rule out the TT just on running cost, as the TT and N/A are about the same to run

Thanks mate, assuming you mean that Petrol, Insurance, Tax, and normal Servicing Costs (at the same mileages) for NAs and TTs are similar?

That sounds reasonable, but I was also thinking purchase price, insurance and maintenance / fixing possible problems.

I'm operating on the following Assumptions and budget:

* £4000 - £5000ish should hopefully buy me an impecably looked after, low mileage (IE: less than 50,000 miles) Manual NA in excellent condition with all the options that I want and I shouldn't have to throw any serious money at it for 10,000 - 20,000 miles

* £4000 - £5000ish should buy me an average / OK - higher mileage TT that may well require money spent on major servicing / repair work on worn parts (due to the higher mileage, higher performance, and added complexity of the turbo engine) within a few thousand miles.

If I had a few thousand more to spend on buying the car in the first place then I would go for a TT.

But from what I've seen so far my £4000 - £5000ish won't buy me a TT without a serious risk of it being a huge moneypit and it will be a Auto (I want a Manual)

Obviously I am using quite a few ASSumptions here and we all know how much they can be worth. So if anyone wants to correct me on any of them please feel free, I am here to learn :)

Edited by Tubbygit
to add that I'm after a Manual :) (see edit history)

Guest Tubbygit
£4-5k would also only ever get you an auto TT.

Thought that might well be the case, and I definately want a Manual.

I've seen your one advertised Topgun, would probably have already tried to swap my S4 for it with you if it was a manual :(

Welcome..!!

Your S4 will be a lot quicker than an NA Supra. If the performance doesn't bother you then an NA manual is the way to go. They are a joy to drive on the move and aren't a slouch either.

I have just gone TT and really have little chance to use the second turbo unless I am overtaking.

Have a look on the classifieds here and on Pistonheads. Always check the forum with your prospective purchase as a couple of new members have posted up desires to or actually paid for lemons....:(

H.