The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Screeching drive belt, new + new tensioner

bodilx6

Aaah... Tip-ex... Really wondered about that name until I saw the name on the box buying some. Here in dk, it just goes by the name of 'screw-up ink'..

Well, tried the test and it doesn't seem to move at all, but I have also only tired it at idle and a bit of dapping the throttle.

But while I sat wih my head down there close to the fan, it seems like the screechin comes from the power steering / vane pumo in stead. If so, should I worry about that?

I just gave the pumpe a bit WD-40, which seemed to stop the screeching at idle. It still gives up a bit of sound when revving just a bit. I think it stops when it warms up, but I'm not 100%. Will test when it stops raining..

Edited by bodilx6 (see edit history)

I'm guessing that as well.

Found a post saying that it could disintegrate and take the rack with it... So I'm guessing I should keep the driving to a minimum untill I get a new pump on?

If the bearing are going, would the noise change when I turn the wheel? I don't think it does. Only heard the screeching at idle with a cold engine and it changes with the revs.

I saw that in an old post, Chris. That might be interesting. I'm just now waiting for a quote from local Mr. T.

You don't have any lying around, so we could do a swap, do you? I have checked the repair manual where there is a section on rebuilding them, buuuuut that seemed a bit steep ;)

Btw, what is the chance if it being fixed by flushing with some new PS fluid?

Though so :(

- but I'm guessing I will know definatly if I take the pulley off and check for play in the axle/shaft, right? I have tried rocking to pulley back and forth but that doesn't move at all

Thanks for the offer. I will get back to you on that if Toyota quotes me silly money.

They quoted me something like 800£!!!?!! That cannot be right? I can't find the post now with the pricing from toyota UK but I seem to recall 250£ or so. I would gladly pay that.

Champion Toyota in the US have them for 260US$

You do the refurb of the bearings for something like 110£ as far as I saw somewhere, right? Plus postage to DK