The mkiv Supra Owners Club

retrofit...to xenon! question.

Titan_Eddie

I know exactly what you mean Martin, my friend had an S2000 with the 4200k xeon's and I understand where you are coming from but with UK headlamps the projection isn't too bad at all. The main difference being you could see the light finished more clearly. Mine are pointing correctly to the floor so I am getting excellent light.

Like you said, you'd have to be a bit anal. My friend to be honest didn't even notice the difference until I pointed it out to him more clearly. He just kept saying that mine just had a slight hint of blue and his didn't :D

The "real" xenon lenses has the cool effect of changing colours too which you don't get with ordinary projector lenses. That aside the light is focussed better with xenon lenses but if you are using the cheap eBay HID kits anyway I guess it doesn't matter ;)

To OP: I think m_life did what you wanted to do?

This is pretty much what i did on my old car using a S2K clear projector.

http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/8924/dsc07729small.jpg

With xenon's is all about beam pattern. Yes they do work in UK lights BUT if you take the bulb out and look at the cut off shield you will see it take a huge step on the end which sends ALL the light skywards which results in the floating triangle of light. Xenon's dont have such a steep step, infact its almost parellel.

Also if you look at the projectors lenses side by side what you see is just how frosty the stock ones are which strangle the light. Xenon's on the other hand have much better optics in the lenses which make use of all the light aswel as providing a very sharp and well defined beam.

As i said, its down to how anal you are but for the best results a retrofit with facelift headlamp's is what you want.

Edited by Kirk (see edit history)

thanks martin you are right. i phoned with hella, the told me not only the lense is different also the backside of the projektor. and when i want to have real good xenon, i have to change the complete reflektor/prjektor (best whay take a reflektor/projektor from a oem xenon light)...so nobody did this:

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=499137&highlight=retrofit+kurt