The mkiv Supra Owners Club

a different kind of insurance Q

Kopite

right, might be getting a supra a lot sooner than i thought. as you all know i know fcuk all about cars and even less about insurance!

i'm insured fully comp on an 2003 Golf SeTDi with morethan and this policy expires at the end of september. if i'm buyin a supe, for different reasons, it needs to be sooner than that. i spole to morethan and they said i could switch the last 2 months of the premium over to a different car with me/them paying the difference. is this true as i don't want to lose a potential 1yrs NCD!

the other thing is, i will probably have the supe before the Golf's sold. as i will of changed the policy over to the supe (assumin i can do that), is it true that a car has to have someone insured fully comp on it? is there a way around this? wouldn't really want to declare it off the road as if it's around my dad could use it the odd time as we're in the middle of movin stuff around.

Will hopefully get the Golf sold, anyone know anyone lookin for one?

Cheers lads and lasses :D

Hi mate,

Changing your car mid way through the policy wont effect you NCB so that OK.

As for having the Golf and the Supe at the same time that could be trickier. Could you not try and find a company that does short term policies then when the golf is sold change your more than policy over to the Supra.

HTH Regards

Chris

You are aware that you could simply take out a seperate policy on the Golf and then cash it in when you sell it? You will lose some money though.

Your Supra policy should include a 'third party cover for any other vehicle not owned by you' bit. If you wanted a totally free way of driving it while insured and are prepared to put up with a bit of hassle, simply transfer the ownership to someone else and then drive it. Maybe a friend or relative? (ie, someone you can trust!).

At selling time obviously you'd need to transfer it back again ideally (I wouldn't buy a car from someone who's name wasn't on the V5). The only problem with this route is that it takes a number of weeks to transfer it over (ie, get the paperwork from DVLA). If you're selling the Golf in 2 months time then the paperwork will spend more time in the post than with you, and you'll have to wait for the paperwork to come back confirming it's no longer yours before you could then drive it!

Bit complicated. Maybe try a smaller company who do month to month schemes? I'm sure I've seen people on here talk about such things.

Originally posted by Aerotop Dave

Your Supra policy should include a 'third party cover for any other vehicle not owned by you' bit. If you wanted a totally free way of driving it while insured and are prepared to put up with a bit of hassle, simply transfer the ownership to someone else and then drive it. Maybe a friend or relative? (ie, someone you can trust!).

Most policys only let you drive another car third party if your over 25. check the small print. I know even though im fully comp i cant drive another car third party cover. also the car you want to drive third party must be insured by someone else as well (i.e person who owns the car)

The only way to make a good saving, is to find someone old with a second policy already started that they are not using that has no claims and gett them to insure the soop.

Also so you know it is now illegal to insure a car you have sold you have to tell them straight away. As people started getting a car insuring it fully comp so they could drive others. Selling that car and then driving a more high powerful car on third party insurance.

I would say the easiest thing to do would be get more than to add the supra to the existing policy they normally do this for 1/2 months. Then sell the golf and when the policy expires with 'more than' you will have the NCB to take to another more Supra friendly insurance company.

The only real problem I see there is if 'More than' wont insure the Supra ie don't insure imports etc, but that's down to them.

Or make life even easier and sell the golf first and wait till the policy expires and you have the NCB. Buy a Supra and start a new policy with the cheapest company.

Originally posted by toyotasuprauk

I would say the easiest thing to do would be get more than to add the supra to the existing policy they normally do this for 1/2 months.

Yep i've done this on my last two supra changes, insurance company happy to cover both cars (so i can legally give test drives) for 1-2 months (just say a month in the first instance, then after that month say you need an extension because of a timewaster buyer or an mechanical/alarm problem needing fixing etc)

Originally posted by toyotasuprauk

The only real problem I see there is if 'More than' wont insure the Supra ie don't insure imports etc, but that's down to them.

However this indeed could be the problem for you!

Originally posted by Scooter

Yep i've done this on my last two supra changes, insurance company happy to cover both cars (so i can legally give test drives) for 1-2 months (just say a month in the first instance, then after that month say you need an extension because of a timewaster buyer or an mechanical/alarm problem needing fixing etc)

interesting...... might have to phone them on this :D i did phone them yesterday and got a nice scally girl on the phone. i mentioned that i was no longer a student and that my address had changed too and she asked for the plate. The supe in question is a UK spec and she said at the end of the policy i would get a refund! im payin £1560ish on the golf (cheapest anywhere i could find last year!) and morethan are saying that for a supe doing 7000 miles, they would want £1400 ish so i'd get money back! i asked her 3 times if the plate had recognised the right car but she confirmed and said yeah. i'll have to phone again and ask them about covering both cars for a month then :D

cheers people :thumbs:

sounds promising! if they are willing to insure you on the uk car, then i really don't see you'll have a problem getting the overlap sorted, its money for old rope for them really........as a guide mine did it for £50 for the month......