The mkiv Supra Owners Club

im gutted it looks like my latest purchase needs a rebuild

mikeyh

im another thunder road victim:(.

now im still not sure if im going to repair or break for parts im sure it is worth more in parts than complete but i dont know if i could bring my self to do it,what does everybody else think is the best thing to do?

or do i rebuild my current block?

can anybody give me a ruff idea of cost to do this its probably going to need a piston/rings and a rebore.

or buy a new short block from toyota?

i realy dont want to waste more money the mrs is already going mad please help a fellow member to get out the dog house ;)

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

whats your spec mate? wouldnt it be just as cheap to drop another engine in??/

No it wouldn't!!!!. Mikey, have you spoken to Ernie???? Like you say this was advertised aas being the 'reliable' single. What pistons etc has it got???? Have you had a look in with a boroscope?? it is poss to put just one piston in depending on the damage done, there are various ways to go about this and not too expensive especially if you can pull the motor yourself, if your not sure on anything feel free to bell me.

No it wouldn't!!!!. Mikey, have you spoken to Ernie???? Like you say this was advertised aas being the 'reliable' single. What pistons etc has it got???? Have you had a look in with a boroscope?? it is poss to put just one piston in depending on the damage done, there are various ways to go about this and not too expensive especially if you can pull the motor yourself, if your not sure on anything feel free to bell me.

no i havn't spoken to him since the engine failure im not going to start chucking the blame about its just one of those things with bloody modified cars:rolleyes:

it has cp pistons i believe if you look in my garage my spec is listed in there.

i did take a look with a boroscope i can see that the piston has got hot it looks to still be in 1 peice.

i dont know if you remember what mine sounded like on sunday but it was missing quiet bad on the way home the missfire got alot better which made me think it was a sticky valve as ive never known compression to get better with a piston failure have you ever come accross this in the past?

:(

Take it was just cylinder 6 that was only damaged. I bet all the others are fine? As it did look like a classic injector failure/Aem Injector driver fault.

Ryan

from what i can see i believe so im going to do another compression test because i forgot to leave the throttle open:blink:

the results i had when i did it was

1-140psi

2-130psi

3-140psi

4-140psi

5-130psi

6-90psi

Get the lump pulled and go from there. You won't know what the costs are going to be until you discover the extent of the damage. It could range from a relativity cheap fix, to a fortune if you find something has broken up and damaged something else - like the head or turbo for example.

Edited by Miguel (see edit history)

if its just the bottom half thats gone , buy a 2jzge for penuts, stip the short block, tap in the oil jets and bob your mothers brother for probably less than £200

Just the new pistons and rebore/hone and gasket set plus sorting the head out to add to that then;)

well ther goes my attempt to give the poor guy hope

LOL I feel sorry for Mikey so will help however I can, it is poss to have a liner properly fitted (that 850hp skyline had one), that way you can just drop in a replacement CP piston made to weigh the same , smooth any damage out of the head and bobs your uncle, if you want to be really tight you can take a chance and re use the head gasket, I use mine up to 3 times each gasket, soak it in thinners and get all the coating off then use one of the gasket sprays (not particularly cheap);)

Do whatever your finances allow mate, dont kid yourself, this fix has potential to be very expensive, also once done the costs will still keep coming

Sorry to be the bearer of such a negative view but after owning a few singles it is a well off persons game :)

Dont get yourself in debt or risk your missus getting too upset on this

Do whatever your finances allow mate, dont kid yourself, this fix has potential to be very expensive, also once done the costs will still keep coming

Sorry to be the bearer of such a negative view but after owning a few singles it is a well off persons game :)

Dont get yourself in debt or risk your missus getting too upset on this

I agree.....................bin the Mrs and get down the bank;)

What about hunting down a used stock motor from someone like Keron. From memory the car isn't pushing mega boost, power or revs is it so a stock bottom end could be more than good enough depending on what you plan to do with it.

Do you have any logs from the run when it gave up? Did you have those race cats in place at the time?

Edit: I see you sig says 676 - that's a fair bit of power :) Was that on a Dyno Dynamics rolling road?

Edited by dandan (see edit history)