The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Stick on front number plate

Neil-NA

I had one on mine for a long time although gone back to stock number plate holder now, while it was on I never had a problem with the Police ;)

Mines been on there for quite a few years now and never had a problem so :p to it being 100% legal :D

I didn't have a problem when I had it either, but it's still not legal and I've heard stories of people getting pulled for it. My take on it is why give them the excuse? Better to have the real deal and not have to worry about it IMO.

The only legal requirement that I was aware of is that the number plate must be set completely vertical. Is there a rule that says stick-ons are not allowed?

From here:

When replacing your number plate you should make sure that the correct material has been used to manufacture the plate. It should be made from a reflective material. Front number plates must display black characters on a white background and rear number plate must display black characters on a yellow background.

The Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency is not aware of any self-adhesive number plates that meet the British Standard requirements.

I didn't have a problem when I had it either, but it's still not legal and I've heard stories of people getting pulled for it. My take on it is why give them the excuse? Better to have the real deal and not have to worry about it IMO.

If i put a plastic plate on the front of my car it'll look awfull imo.

Seeing as mines been like this for over 5 years in which time i've been pulled over far too many times including getting a speeding fine from a camera van and nothings been said i think i'll stick with it.

Im certaily not worrying about it :) Being caught doing xxx down a dual carrigeway is more to my concern ;)

Neil,

I filled the holes with 2 pack plastic repair filler and carefully sanded it down so hidden behind the plate.

Dnk,

I removed the excess around the edges, because the gentle curve across the front causes wrinkles if the plate is any larger.

The letters are 80mm tall, so to leave a border would need smaller.

Maybe next time.

Edited by David P (see edit history)

Dnk,

I removed the excess around the edges, because there is a gentle curve across the front which causes wrinkles if the plate is larger.

Thats exactly why i put mine where it is as i didnt want to cut the size down, i thought if i did that it would be too visually obvious to the boys in blue that it wasnt at least the correct size.

I take it you've had no unwanted attention to it ?

I did have a reflective plate that was smaller than legal size and mounted vertically but was pulled inside 2 days of it being fitted and got told in no uncertain terms it was illegal and i best change it or else lol, i think the officer had lost the plot.

Aren't plates supposed to have BSAU numbers on them to making stick ons illegal!:?

Yep I think thats the main problem, mine (I believe) is otherwise legal apart from this BSAU number but at the time couldn't find anywhere to hand that did a stick on with this reference on it.

I have simply stuck with double sided plate a standard UK hard plate over the stick on today for the MOT. I cant really keep it there as it will just ping off.