The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Sale advice

danhicks22

Hi all,

I'm starting this thread partly to get my thoughts off my chest in the hope I can answer my own questions and partly for some advice and thoughts from others on what they think I should do. Apologies in advance for the likely length of my posting and for my pathetic lack of ability to make any kind of significant decision without weeks of agonising over the many possibilities.

I've owned my Supra for just under two and a half years and I've loved it. It's definitely been a dream car for me for a long time. I remember when I was a young teenager, I was constantly imagining myself driving around and thinking how cool it would be – and I always pictured myself in a Supra. To finally own one has been truly awesome.

I bought the car when I could comfortably afford it and money isn't strictly a motivating factor for this, but my circumstances are changing and my priorities along with them.

I'm about to start a mortgage and I'm likely to soon be paying a mortgage as well as rent on another house. I own two cars, one being the Supra and the other being a Seat Leon Cupra Tdi, although my brother's currently borrowing my Leon. I do a lot of miles, which I don't like putting on the Supra and obviously it's also expensive. A couple of times recently I've put £250 of fuel in the Supra in just over a week.

I can afford to run two properties and two cars like this, but I'm not sure I can justify not being able to afford to do other things that I want to. I certainly couldn't afford to keep putting money into the Supra as a 'project', which I've always seen it as, continue to save and also buy myself the toys I want; like a quad bike, massive TV, etc.

In short (apologies for the length of post so far...), I've decided to sell the Supra. I'll definitely want another one in a few years when I have the time and space to dedicate to it properly and make it a proper project, but for now I think I need to move on.

My problem though is how exactly I go about selling the car itself and the after-market/upgrade parts I have that are and aren't fitted.

The car is a '93 J-spec TT auto imported for me in stock form by Jurgen in 2008. It had just under 49,000km on the clock when imported and the dial now reads approximately 72,000. The first 10,000 or so units after import were still in km because my converter was wired wrong and it took me ages before I had the time to get it working properly but that puts the mileage at about 50,000.

The modifications I've made are:

Exterior:

replica OEM skirts and spats

18” Kahn RSR wheels

facelift rear lights

stubby aerial

manually controlled active spoiler

Zunsport bumper grille set

likwidart badges

Facelift front indicators

Clear side repeaters

Interior:

died carpet (grey to black)

UK leather seats (front and rear)

black roof lining and light (plus sun visors not fitted – still using grey ones)

Momo race steering wheel

Grey dash panel respray (always planned to redo this)

Cobra alarm

GZ rear speaker boxes and 16.5cm speakers

Wooden front speaker brackets and 16.5cm speakers

Pioneer CD head unit

A lot of sound proofing in rear quarters and boot

Performance:

custom exhaust with high-flow cat and 5zigen Exmag RSR GTII copy back box

Apexi Power FC induction kit

Walbro fuel pump

Blitz SBC-ID boost controller and power meter

Innovate DB gauge with LC-1 wideband kit

Prosport oil pressure and temperature gauges

Thor TSD & BCD

UK brakes all round with Do-Luck braided lines

The car also has the factory fitted yellow Bilstein suspension.

I've uploaded some exterior photos to Flickr:

One of the main reasons I've decided to sell is the frustration I feel that the car isn't as I'd want it and I've put so much money into owning it, at the moment I can't really justify putting more into it to get it to the level I'd be happy with it.

My main gripe is that the bodywork is looking very tired. Both side skirts have splits in and need repairing (I actually have some genuine ones I planned to have fitted to replace the replicas), the bottom of the doors have rubbed against the skirts and are starting to rust so they need respraying, both bumpers have faded very badly and need respraying, the boot lid and roof near the boot lid have faded badly and need respraying and the inside of the boot hatch around the top has rusted and needs respraying. The wheels are also reasonably well curbed and have been since I bought them – never got round to getting them refurbished.

I've been thinking a lot about the best combination to sell things in – e.g. revert the car to stock and sell all the parts separately or just sell the car as is, etc. But I guess what I'm looking for is other people's opinions on what they'd do and on how much the car's worth in its current state.

Having looked through the classifieds, I'm not optimistic on the amount I'll get for the car as is – the body work being the major concern – but the amount of cost/effort in reverting everything to sell the parts separately and then the difficulty of selling the car afterwards makes that option seem less appealing.

I'm thinking the best option might be to try to sell the car as is, with all the mods making it a more appealing purchase for a prospective buyer (do they?!) and just put up with not making the most possible money back from all the parts (I also have a few bits not fitted yet, like a Shine Auto carbon diffuser from the Whifbitz group buy, some engine bling, new boot struts, etc.), but I just can't bring myself to actually make a decision.

Hope that makes sense and that I haven't pissed you off too much for wasting most of your evening with my rambling problems – and thanks for reading this far, even if you skipped to the end :)

All thoughts related to the crap I just filled your browser with are welcome and appreciated.

Cheers,

Dan.

Let me paraphrase the above for you:

Supra for sale, needs TLC, offers please.

How's that? :)

Nowhere near as therapeutic to write but not bad.

Also the phrase 'needs TLC' makes me feel guilty, dirty and unloving all at once. I normally only get that in the shower and it doesn't last long like this does :(

Guest damo-eire

Pics look alot better than ur report.......

If it was me Id put it in a garage for a few years cause itll cost you alot more to replace it in 5/10 years as more and more of them get stuck in ditches!!!