The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Headgasket change

bigbloodyturbo

How much am i looking at for getting my HG changed. I just had a quote from toyota of £900. Is this the going rate or are they taking the wee wee? Also does anyone know of a garage in the northeast of scotland that could do this? someone has said wallace performance but i'm unfamiliar with them. Any help would be appreciated as im starting to think about doing it myself.

If it has overheated the head is probably scrap, when the head to block face of the cylinder head warps, so does the cam bearing saddle alignment. In other words you might be able to skim the gasket face flat, but the cam will be being pulled into a banana shape to fit the saddles, which will *ugger something up in no time. If you price up all the turbo gaskets, the head set, and the labour, then £900 is very cheap, but it's very dear to fit a scrap head back on....

If it has overheated the head is probably scrap, when the head to block face of the cylinder head warps, so does the cam bearing saddle alignment. In other words you might be able to skim the gasket face flat, but the cam will be being pulled into a banana shape to fit the saddles, which will *ugger something up in no time. If you price up all the turbo gaskets, the head set, and the labour, then £900 is very cheap, but it's very dear to fit a scrap head back on....

Happened to me, snapped 3 lots of cams in my head, 2 during installation, then finally one when running at 7k rpm :D The cam bearings where like a bananna

£90 an hour! you are going to the wrong garage mate!!

He was talking about Toyota figures.

£900 isn't expensive at all for HG change if it's a TT. When I did one about 4 or 5 years back, I spent somewhere close to £300 on oem gaskets/seals/new head bolts alone. From memory, I think Toyota charged something just over £100 for the headbolts.

And it was a pig of a job to do.