The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Borg Warner EFR turbos

Paul Whiffin

Has anyone seen this? Borg Warners new range of turbos coming out soon. Read it all here http://www.cosworthusa.com/news/article.asp?idpage=57

http://www.full-race.com/articles/borgwarner-efr-turbos.html

They have built in boost solenoids, blow off valve and wastegate, have a read. I've ordered mine already.

Edited by Paul Whiffin (see edit history)

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very interesting concept, so simple and compact it makes you winder why it's not been thought of before (has it?!). Edit - yes this is how most OEM turbos work, but I've never seem to be available for larger power setups on a T4 manifold.

If it works, this would be a very nice way to go single, no wastegates hanging off the manifold, no dump tubes and weight saving all in one tidy package. Not to mention a damn sight easier for those wanting a quieter setup.

Ace idea, but thats alot of kit on the imediate left of the turbo, from the BW's ive seen they only just clear the suspension turret as it is - are they going to fit in the bay of a supra?

I've been told the internal wastegate, built in bov and boost solenoid are going to be optional so you can have them without if needed. Also the compressor cover is going to be further forward so should clear. If they are as good as they sound I'll get a manifold made to suit them if they dont fit.

How long until they start making variable vane turbo's for the aftermarket applications?

People have already tried it. I was speaking to the guy in charge of fluid dynamics for a top-spec uni a few months back and he was saying he knows a few people who've tried VGT in various shapes and forms on engines to make higher power (600bhp+). The issue is still getting it to cope with the heat created at that sort of pressure for extended periods of time. The theory is there, just needs some R&D budget spending on it.

Just as I was about to order my garrett I got chatting with these guys, all their turbos come with Inconel exhaust wheels (a must with anti lag/launch control) and the latest ball bearing technology.

http://www.billetturbochargers.com/About_Billet.ews

Good old Mark Kitchen, I've ran one of his specials on my old MK3 Supra and it was very good 5 years ago. Nice that BW are catching up 10 years on :D

Would you go with one then Nod ?????

Oh yeah! The one I had was before Mark started making his own compressor wheels and exhaust housings. It featured the bearing system and a propitiatory compressor housing but borrowed an exhaust housing, turbine and compressor wheels from something else.

That aside it was a 800bhp turbo that spooled like a GT3582R on my old 7MGTE.

God only knows how fast they spool now he makes his own design compressor and turbine wheels.

They were also good for 4 bar of positive boost, not that I tested that theory :D

Good enough for GAS motorsport ;)

Sure is this not the same setup as Supra OEM Turbos with the Wastegate bolted on

Considering all the addional Accessaries bolted into the Turbo, is it is not a better option to have a conventional Single Setup with everything seperate; if you need to replace anything you dont need to replace the whole Turbo too or at least you dont need to touch the turbo if you can get the items seperate

Items like external Wastegates are easier to get at if they need replacing, surely it would be alot more time consuming to get the wastegate bolted to the Turbo Housing

What are the benefits of having this Items bolted to the Turbo, just a tidy setup? but with the disadvantage if something need replacing it will cost you more in labour to get at the individual items replaced due to how tight everything is under the hood?